L.A. makes Chicago pay for early missesApr 17, 2011 - 10:19 PM Bridgeview, IL (Sports Network) - The Los Angeles Galaxy earned a 2-1 victory over the Chicago Fire in Major League Soccer action at Toyota Park on Sunday.
The Galaxy (3-1-3) got goals late in each half from Chad Barrett and Omar Gonzalez - both assisted by Miguel Lopez - to move into a tie at the top of the Western Conference table.
The Fire actually had a couple breakaways in the first half that they were unable to capitalize on before the Galaxy got the game's first goal.
The first was in the 18th minute Gaston Puerari outran a defender to a loose ball to get past goalkeeper Donovan Ricketts, but slotted the shot just wide of the right post.
The second occurred in the 29th minute when a Puerari pass sprung Gonzalo Segares in the Galaxy area with only Ricketts to beat, but his shot went wide right as well.
The Galaxy made the Fire (1-3-1) pay for the misses in the 42nd minute when a Lopez pass found striker Barrett in the center of the area. Barrett, a former Fire striker, blasted the shot past goalkeeper Jon Conway for his first goal of the season.
L.A. made it 2-0 in the 72nd minute when Omar Gonzalez skied to head home a Lopez corner for his first goal of the season.
Fire forward Dominic Oduro pulled on back in the 89th minute, but it was too little, too late for the home side.
Chicago will aim to rebound vs. Houston next Saturday, while L.A. hosts Portland later the same night in its next MLS fixture.
- Galaxy, 'Quakes set for California Clasico Jun 26
- Keane shines as Los Angeles pummels Portland Jun 25
- Doyle's blast fires DCU past Chicago Jun 24
- Galaxy's Zardes named Player of the Week Jun 23
- West rivals clash as Galaxy host Timbers Jun 23
- United aims for second straight win against Fire Jun 23
- Husidic, Zardes help Galaxy smash Union Jun 21
- Union set to battle Galaxy at StubHub Center Jun 19
- Higuain helps Crew SC draw Galaxy Jun 13
- Quick strikes lead Revs past Fire Jun 13
- Revs aim to stop the rot against Fire Jun 12
- Crew SC, Galaxy square off at Mapfre Stadium Jun 12