Fire, Whitecaps play to draw as winless streaks continueMay 8, 2011 - 2:36 AM Bridgeview, IL (Sports Network) - The Chicago Fire and Vancouver Whitecaps FC played to a 0-0 draw at Toyota Park on Saturday, extending winless streaks for both teams.
Marco Pappa and Diego Chaves teamed up twice in the first half to create scoring chances, with the first arriving in the 36th minute as Pappa played Chaves into the penalty area, but saw his low shot toward the near post saved by goalkeeper Jay Nolly.
The duo combined again shortly before halftime with an even better chance as Pappa once again released Chaves into the box, only for his shot to beat Nolly and come back off the far post.
Chances dried up in the second half for the home side and it was Vancouver (1-4-4) that created the best chance 15 minutes from time.
Eric Hassli was able to get into the area alone with only goalkeeper Jon Conway to beat, but he hesitated too long and allowed Conway to dive at his feet to claim the ball.
The final chance came in stoppage time when Vancouver's Nizar Khalfan sent a rocket over the net from 20 yards, leaving Vancouver winless in its last eight games, while Chicago (1-3-4) has failed to win any of its last six.
- VANCOUVER FC: 0
May 7 10:28 PM
- VANCOUVER FC: 0
1st Half - 1'
May 7 8:42 PM
- 'Caps ease past Revs at Gillette Jun 27
- 'Caps continue road trip in New England Jun 26
- Doyle's blast fires DCU past Chicago Jun 24
- United aims for second straight win against Fire Jun 23
- Ousted saves two PK's as Whitecaps top Red Bulls Jun 20
- Red Bulls try to stop the rot against Vancouver Jun 19
- Quick strikes lead Revs past Fire Jun 13
- Revs aim to stop the rot against Fire Jun 12
- Manneh's strike sends 'Caps past Galaxy Jun 7
- Orlando City stuns Fire with late rally Jun 6
- Whitecaps hope to end struggles at Galaxy Jun 5
- OCSC, Fire lock horns at Toyota Park Jun 5