Mwanga helps Union salvage draw with GalaxyMay 12, 2011 - 3:14 AM Chester, PA (Sports Network) - The Philadelphia Union claimed a 1-1 draw with the Los Angeles Galaxy at PPL Park on Wednesday as substitute Danny Mwanga scored the equalizer in the 84th minute for the home side.
The Galaxy (4-2-5) took the lead in the 24th minute with a goal from Landon Donovan, but Mwanga came off the bench at halftime and was able to claim a point for his team, giving the Union (4-2-2) eight points from its last five games.
"I'm very disappointed," Galaxy head coach Bruce Arena said following the match. "We should've won this game by two or three goals. This is a game where we shouldn't be scrambling in the last 10 minutes of the game. We played too well not to have anything to show for it."
Los Angeles dominated the possession in the first half and capitalized in the 24th minute when Juan Pablo Angel got into the penalty area and had the ball poked away by a Union defender. However, Donovan was on hand to follow up the ball and roll it past goalkeeper Faryd Mondragon.
The Colombian did well in the second half to keep the Union within a goal as he first made a good save on a shot from the Galaxy's Chris Birchall before denying Angel's close-range effort a few minutes later.
Philadelphia finally started to generate some offense in the final 20 minutes, and with under 10 minutes remaining, a mistake from L.A. defender Sean Franklin handed Mwanga the equalizer.
Franklin attempted to pass the ball back to goalkeeper Donovan Ricketts, but instead didn't get enough on it, allowing Mwanga to intercept the pass, round Ricketts and roll the ball into the net.
"I feel disappointed that we didn't get three (points), because at the end, we had them on their heels," said Union coach John Hackworth, who was filling in for head coach Peter Nowak because Nowak was in Poland for a charity event. "It's a good result because we were behind to one of the best teams in the league and we came back."
Both teams will return to the field on Saturday as the Union visits FC Dallas, while the Galaxy entertains Sporting Kansas City.
- Edu saves point for Union in draw with Impact Jun 27
- Galaxy, 'Quakes set for California Clasico Jun 26
- Union ready to tangle with Impact at PPL Jun 26
- Keane shines as Los Angeles pummels Portland Jun 25
- Sapong's goal lifts Union past Sounders Jun 24
- Galaxy's Zardes named Player of the Week Jun 23
- West rivals clash as Galaxy host Timbers Jun 23
- Union set for stern test against Sounders Jun 23
- Husidic, Zardes help Galaxy smash Union Jun 21
- Union set to battle Galaxy at StubHub Center Jun 19
- Higuain helps Crew SC draw Galaxy Jun 13
- Crew SC, Galaxy square off at Mapfre Stadium Jun 12