Chiumiento's late heroics help 'Caps earn draw with 'QuakesMay 12, 2011 - 4:06 AM Vancouver, BC (Sports Network) - Davide Chiumiento's goal in stoppage time helped Vancouver Whitecaps FC salvage a point against the San Jose Earthquakes at Empire Field on Wednesday as the two sides played to a 1-1 draw.
Chris Wondolowski gave San Jose the lead when he scored his fourth goal of the season in the 39th minute, but Chiumiento curled the ball into the area from the right wing and it skipped through the face of goal without being touched and settled inside the left post for the equalizer.
The result leaves San Jose (1-4-3) with just one point from its last four games, while Vancouver (1-4-5) has lost only once in six games at home.
The first half was controlled by the Earthquakes and they almost went in front after 12 minutes as a shot from Ryan Johnson rolled inches wide of the right post.
Vancouver goalkeeper Jay Nolly was kept busy in the first half and he kept out a shot from Johnson before the opening goal arrived shortly before halftime.
A 35-yard blast from Sam Cronin was saved at the bottom-left corner of the net by Nolly, but his parry was collected near the end line by Johnson. He then pulled the ball back to the front of goal for Wondolowski, who redirected it past Nolly from close range.
Vancouver did manage to create a few chances in the second half as Camilo forced San Jose goalkeeper Jon Busch to make a save one minute after the break, while Busch also kept out shots from Russell Teibert and Jeb Brovsky.
However, Busch was unable to keep out the ball from Chiumiento, whose effort looked more like a cross than a shot.
Both teams will now go in search of their second win of the season on Saturday as Vancouver travels to New England and San Jose hosts Columbus.
- 'Caps ease past Revs at Gillette Jun 27
- Galaxy, 'Quakes set for California Clasico Jun 26
- 'Caps continue road trip in New England Jun 26
- Ousted saves two PK's as Whitecaps top Red Bulls Jun 20
- San Jose doubles up on Sounders Jun 20
- Red Bulls try to stop the rot against Vancouver Jun 19
- Sounders on the hunt for 2nd straight win against 'Quakes Jun 19
- Manneh's strike sends 'Caps past Galaxy Jun 7
- Dallas eyes turnaround at San Jose Jun 5
- Whitecaps hope to end struggles at Galaxy Jun 5
- Canadian rivals clash as Impact host 'Caps Jun 2
- Techera helps 'Caps end losing skid May 30