Rapids, United battle to 1-1 drawMay 15, 2011 - 2:02 AM Washington, D.C. (Sports Network) - D.C. United battled to a 1-1 draw with the defending Major League Soccer champion Colorado Rapids at RFK Stadium on Saturday.
United came back from giving up the game's first goal for just the second time in six tries this season, going 0-4-2 in those games.
United looked like it got the game's first goal just seven minutes in when Chris Pontius played a through-ball to Charlie Davies, but the U.S. international was judged to be just offside before he slotted home.
After the close call, Drew Moor ended up scoring the first goal in the 24th minute for visiting Colorado (4-3-3), his first of the season.
Moor took advantage after a Jamie Smith free kick into the United penalty area deflected of a defender when he fired home with his left into the bottom left corner.
United (3-4-3), which had to sub out starting strikers Davies (hamstring) and Josh Wolff (groin) in the first half, got the equalizer after Pontius converted a penalty kick just after the hour mark.
Pontius drew the penalty when he was fouled by Kosuke Kimura in the Rapids area.
- Sporting continues home success against Rapids Jun 27
- DCU, TFC play to scoreless draw Jun 27
- Rapids roll into Kansas City to tussle with Sporting Jun 26
- In-form TFC meets East leaders DCU Jun 26
- Doyle's blast fires DCU past Chicago Jun 24
- Second-half spurt leads Orlando past Colorado Jun 24
- United aims for second straight win against Fire Jun 23
- Orlando tries to get back on track against Rapids Jun 23
- Rolfe's double leads United past Revs Jun 21
- Serna's late goal rescues Rapids Jun 19
- East rivals tangle as DCU hosts Revolution Jun 19
- West rivals clash as Rapids host FCD Jun 18