FC Dallas shuts out Union to extend unbeaten runMay 15, 2011 - 2:29 AM Frisco, TX (Sports Network) - Brek Shea and Fabian Castillo both scored in the first half, as FC Dallas became the first team to score more than two goals in a game against the Philadelphia Union this season in a 2-0 win Saturday.
Shea scored in the 29th minute and Castillo followed in the 43rd at Pizza Hut Park, as FC Dallas (5-3-2) won for the fourth time during a five-game unbeaten streak in Major League Soccer.
Philadelphia (4-3-2) goalie Faryd Mondragon had allowed just four goals in the Union's first eight games, but was helpless to stop two goals scored from six yards or less, as the Union's winless run reached three matches.
Shea signed a contract extension through 2015 on Thursday, and rewarded Dallas with his third goal of the season just before the half-hour mark. Castillo did most of the work, setting up an easy finish with a cross into the six-yard box and Shea tapped home from just a few yards out.
Castillo followed with his second goal of the year two minutes before halftime when he reached a cross from Jackson Goncalves at the edge of the six-yard box to beat Mondragon with a header to the left post.
Philadelphia had not scored or allowed more than one goal in a game, and could not respond after halftime, even after strikers Carlos Ruiz and Jack McInerney came off the bench to start the second half.
Dallas goalkeeper Kevin Hartman posted his third straight shutout.
The Union will try to rebound May 21 when they host the Chicago Fire. Dallas hosts Real Salt Lake in its next match May 22.
- Edu saves point for Union in draw with Impact Jun 27
- Castillo, FC Dallas claim El Capitan in win over Dynamo Jun 27
- Union ready to tangle with Impact at PPL Jun 26
- Dynamo, FCD battle for El Capitan Jun 25
- Sapong's goal lifts Union past Sounders Jun 24
- Union set for stern test against Sounders Jun 23
- Husidic, Zardes help Galaxy smash Union Jun 21
- Serna's late goal rescues Rapids Jun 19
- Union set to battle Galaxy at StubHub Center Jun 19
- West rivals clash as Rapids host FCD Jun 18
- Neagle lifts Sounders past FCD at CenturyLink Jun 14
- West foes clash as Sounders host FCD at CenturyLink Jun 12