Ruiz, Union edge Fire to remain unbeaten at PPLMay 22, 2011 - 4:34 AM Chester, PA (Sports Network) - Carlos Ruiz scored the match-winner in the 75th minute off a stunning half-volley, as the Philadelphia Union remained unbeaten at home with a 2-1 win over the Chicago Fire on Saturday at PPL Park.
Michael Farfan also scored for Philadelphia (5-3-2), which scored two goals in a match for the first time this season to end a three-game winless streak. The Union have four wins and two draws in six home matches in Major League Soccer.
"It's a good step forward, especially when you score two goals for the first time," Union coach Peter Nowak said.
Dominic Oduro scored for Chicago (1-4-5), which is winless in eight straight.
Carlos Valdes glanced a header off the top of the crossbar in the opening half and Sebastien Le Toux found the outside of the right post early in the second for the Union, but the match remained scoreless through an hour.
Philadelphia broke the deadlock in the 64th minute when Kyle Nakazawa played a free kick from the left side into space outside the box, where Farfan ran onto the ball and hit a 30-yard shot that took a slight deflection past Jon Conway.
Chicago responded within three minutes, as Dominic Oduro settled a poor cross from Gonzalo Segares and lost a defender to beat Faryd Mondragon to the near post in the 67th.
The Fire came within inches of taking the lead in the 71st, but Union defender Sheanon Williams cleared Gaston Puerari's shot off the line to save Mondragon, and Ruiz followed with the game-winner.
Ruiz took a poor free kick, but he ran onto the deflection, made one touch to settle the ball, and struck a looping 35-yard half-volley over Conway and just under the bar for his third goal of the season.
"It was a bad free kick by me, but the only play I had was to shoot on goal, because if I had stopped the ball, if I think twice on that play, I can lose the ball," Ruiz said. "Just shoot on goal and see what happens."
The Union visit Toronto FC for their next match on May 28, when the Fire also return to action at home against the San Jose Earthquakes.
- CHICAGO: 1
May 21 9:57 PM
- Philadelphia Union Goal - Ruiz (3) 75th minute.
Fire 1, Union 2 2nd - 76'May 21 9:40 PM
- Chicago Fire Goal - Oduro (2) 67th minute.
Fire 1, Union 1 2nd - 69'May 21 9:32 PM
- Philadelphia Union Goal - M. Farfan (1) 64th minute
Fire 0, Union 1 2nd - 65'May 21 9:29 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
1st Half - 1'
May 21 8:07 PM
- Edu saves point for Union in draw with Impact Jun 27
- Union ready to tangle with Impact at PPL Jun 26
- Doyle's blast fires DCU past Chicago Jun 24
- Sapong's goal lifts Union past Sounders Jun 24
- United aims for second straight win against Fire Jun 23
- Union set for stern test against Sounders Jun 23
- Husidic, Zardes help Galaxy smash Union Jun 21
- Union set to battle Galaxy at StubHub Center Jun 19
- Quick strikes lead Revs past Fire Jun 13
- Revs aim to stop the rot against Fire Jun 12
- Orlando City stuns Fire with late rally Jun 6
- NYC snaps winless skid as Mullins leaves it late Jun 6