McLoughlin sparks 'Quakes to win over RevolutionMay 22, 2011 - 4:46 AM Santa Clara, CA (Sports Network) - Ellis McLoughlin scored his first goal in Major League Soccer, sparking the San Jose Earthquakes to a 2-1 win over the New England Revolution on Saturday at Buck Shaw Stadium.
McLoughlin had played just 36 minutes this season in two appearances off the bench, but scored the first goal of the match in the 71st minute when he sent a pass from Chris Wondolowski inside the right post with a perfect header.
Bobby Convey added a second goal in the 83rd, and the Earthquakes (3-4-3) held on for their second straight win. San Jose beat the Columbus Crew, 3-0, in its last match.
Chris Tierney scored in the 86th for New England (3-4-4), which stayed winless in five road matches this season.
San Jose's Khari Stephenson had the best scoring chance of the first half, but hit the crossbar in the 13th minute. The match remained scoreless until midway into the second half, when McLoughlin notched the opener.
Wondolowski curled a cross in from the right wing and McLoughlin ran under the pass on the far side of the area, got under the ball and sent a header to the right post to leave New England goalie Matt Reis no chance.
Convey followed with his first goal of the season, as he curled a perfect free kick from 25 yards into the upper-left corner in the 83rd.
Tierney answered off a free kick three minutes later, beating San Jose goalie Jon Busch to the bottom-left corner, but New England couldn't produce a second goal in the closing minutes.
San Jose will try to extend its win streak at the Chicago Fire on May 28, when New England returns home to play the Los Angeles Galaxy.
- NEW ENGLAND: 1
SAN JOSE: 2
May 22 12:34 AM
- New England Revolution Goal - Tierney (1) 86th minute
Revolution 1, Earthquakes 2 2nd - 87'May 22 12:23 AM
- San Jose Earthquakes Goal - Convey (1) 83rd minute
Revolution 0, Earthquakes 2 2nd - 84'May 22 12:19 AM
- San Jose Earthquakes Goal - McLoughlin (1) 71st minute.
Revolution 0, Earthquakes 1 2nd - 72'May 22 12:07 AM
- NEW ENGLAND: 0
SAN JOSE: 0
1st Half - 1'
May 21 10:38 PM
- 'Caps ease past Revs at Gillette Jun 27
- Galaxy, 'Quakes set for California Clasico Jun 26
- 'Caps continue road trip in New England Jun 26
- Kamara leads the way as Columbus edges New England Jun 24
- Revs, Crew SC tangle at MAPFRE Stadium Jun 23
- Rolfe's double leads United past Revs Jun 21
- San Jose doubles up on Sounders Jun 20
- East rivals tangle as DCU hosts Revolution Jun 19
- Sounders on the hunt for 2nd straight win against 'Quakes Jun 19
- Quick strikes lead Revs past Fire Jun 13
- Revs aim to stop the rot against Fire Jun 12
- Adi's brace helps Timbers topple Revs Jun 7