Imperfect 10: Chicago ties Seattle to extend skidJun 5, 2011 - 3:10 AM Bridgeview, IL (Sports Network) - Interim coach Frank Klopas could not change the Chicago Fire's fortunes in his debut Saturday night.
Chicago settled for a 0-0 draw against Seattle Sounders FC, as its winless run stretched to 10 matches in Major League Soccer.
Klopas replaced Carlos de los Cobos earlier this week after Chicago earned one win in its first 11 matches. But the Fire's technical director and new interim head coach failed to deliver more than De los Cobos in his debut.
Chicago (1-4-7) tied for the sixth time in its last seven matches, and for the seventh time this season. Seattle (5-4-6) tied for the sixth time this season, but it has lost just once in its last six games.
The Fire started the season with a 1-1 draw at MLS Cup runner-up FC Dallas and defeated Sporting Kansas City 3-2 in the second week, but has not posted a win since that match at Toyota Park on March 26.
Consecutive losses to Seattle Sounders FC, the expansion Portland Timbers, and the Los Angeles Galaxy followed, and the six ties over the next six weeks left Chicago with just nine points from its first 11 games.
De los Cobos paid the price Monday, ending his stint with Chicago after just a little over one year, but Klopas learned against Seattle that there is still a lot of work to do.
Diego Chaves and Dan Paladini each forced two saves from Seattle goalie Kasey Keller, who posted his fourth shutout of the season, but Fire goalkeeper Sean Johnson was under more pressure and made two huge saves for his first shutout of the season.
Johnson denied Seattle's Lamar Neagle twice inside 10 minutes, the first on a point-blank header toward the lower-left corner and the second off a shot sent toward the upper-left corner that was just pushed over the bar.
Keller was busier the rest of the night, as Johnson made just one more save in the final 80 minutes, but made his five saves without much trouble.
Klopas will try to snap Chicago's skid Thursday at Sporting Kansas City, which will open Livestrong Sporting Park after playing its first 10 matches on the road. Seattle hosts Vancouver Whitecaps FC on June 11.
- SEATTLE: 0
Jun 4 10:32 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
1st Half - 5'
Jun 4 8:44 PM
- Adi leads Timbers over Sounders in Cascadia Cup Jun 28
- Timbers, Sounders set for Cascadia clash Jun 26
- Doyle's blast fires DCU past Chicago Jun 24
- Sapong's goal lifts Union past Sounders Jun 24
- United aims for second straight win against Fire Jun 23
- Union set for stern test against Sounders Jun 23
- San Jose doubles up on Sounders Jun 20
- Sounders on the hunt for 2nd straight win against 'Quakes Jun 19
- Neagle lifts Sounders past FCD at CenturyLink Jun 14
- Quick strikes lead Revs past Fire Jun 13
- West foes clash as Sounders host FCD at CenturyLink Jun 12
- Revs aim to stop the rot against Fire Jun 12