K.C. edges San Jose for first win at LivestrongJun 18, 2011 - 2:52 AM Kansas City, KS (Sports Network) - Sporting Kansas City is still undefeated at Livestrong Sporting Park, even if the sample size is small.
Kansas City rookie C.J. Sapong scored the first goal in Major League Soccer in the new $200 million stadium and Sporting edged the San Jose Earthquakes, 1-0, on Friday night for its first win in two matches at its new home.
Sporting tied the Chicago Fire, 0-0, on June 9 in the first-ever MLS match at the stadium, and ended San Jose's six-match unbeaten streak to remain unbeaten at the sparkling new venue in Kansas City.
Kansas City (3-6-4) opened the season on a 10-game roadtrip, but with the draw at home earlier this month, a 4-1 win at FC Dallas on Sunday, and the win over San Jose, it could be more dangerous than it showed early this season.
Sapong delivered the lone goal just after the 30-minute mark when he turned a cross from Graham Zusi into the net from eight yards.
Zusi, who scored a brace in the win over Dallas, drove a free kick in from the right wing, and Sapong sneaked through traffic to reach the ball just outside the six-yard box.
Sapong threw his leg out to direct the ball out of the air and into the right side of the goal, leaving Earthquakes goalkeeper Jon Busch no chance to make a save. It was Sapong's second goal of the season.
San Jose enjoyed a decent spell in the second half after Simon Dawkins came on to start the half, but failed to get a shot by Kansas City goalkeeper Jimmy Nielsen, who made four saves.
With 11 of its next 14 matches at home, Sporting could easily find itself much higher in the standings - and in the playoffs - at the end of the season if it continues to get results at home.
First, Kansas City takes its two-game win streak and five-game unbeaten streak to play the Philadelphia Union on Wednesday. San Jose (5-5-4) hosts the Los Angeles Galaxy on June 25 in its next match.
- SAN JOSE: 0
SPORTING KANSAS CITY: 1
Jun 17 10:29 PM
- Sporting Kansas City Goal - Sapong (2) 31st minute.
Earthquakes 0, Sporting Kansas City 1 1st - 32'Jun 17 9:09 PM
- SAN JOSE: 0
SPORTING KANSAS CITY: 0
1st Half - 1'
Jun 17 8:38 PM
- Sporting continues home success against Rapids Jun 27
- Galaxy, 'Quakes set for California Clasico Jun 26
- Rapids roll into Kansas City to tussle with Sporting Jun 26
- Garcia leaves it late as RSL edges SKC Jun 22
- San Jose doubles up on Sounders Jun 20
- RSL tries to slow streaking Sporting Jun 19
- Sounders on the hunt for 2nd straight win against 'Quakes Jun 19
- Feilhaber powers Sporting past Sounders Jun 6
- Streaking Sporting set to square off with Sounders Jun 5
- Dallas eyes turnaround at San Jose Jun 5
- Moore powers TFC past 'Quakes May 30
- 'Quakes set to battle TFC at BMO May 29