Seattle edges New England to cap unbeaten monthJun 26, 2011 - 10:24 PM Seattle, WA (Sports Network) - Seattle Sounders FC wouldn't mind if June was a little longer.
Tyson Wahl and Alvaro Fernandez scored six minutes apart in the first half and Seattle downed the New England Revolution, 2-1, on Sunday at CenturyLink Field to finish the month unbeaten in Major League Soccer.
Sounders FC won four of six matches during the month, and has just one loss in its last 10 games overall. Seattle (8-4-7) moved to within just four points of the Los Angeles Galaxy, who lead the Western Conference.
New England (3-8-6) remained winless on the road this season, losing its sixth straight away from home. The Revolution are 0-6-2 on the road, and are winless in seven straight overall.
The Revolution got off to a perfect start against Seattle, which just defeated Red Bull New York 4-2 on Thursday. Benny Feilhaber played a short corner kick to Sainey Nyassi, who sent a low shot off goalie Kasey Keller's fingertips and into the lower-left corner in the third minute for his first goal this year.
New England managed to maintain the lead for 30 minutes, but once Seattle tied the match, the winning goal followed as well.
Wahl tied the match in the 34th minute with a perfect free kick around a five- man wall and into the top-left corner from 25 yards for his first career goal.
Six minutes later, Seattle worked a nice passing sequence down the middle of the field, with Roger Levesque - who scored twice Thursday - sending the last pass with a one-touch effort to an open Fernandez.
Fernandez accepted the pass on the left side of the area and fired back to the far post, giving New England goalkeeper Matt Reis no chance as he notched his fourth goal of the season.
New England's best chance to escape with a draw came with five minutes left in normal time. Substitute Zack Schilawski made a quick turn 30 yards from goal, then dipped a left-footed shot over Keller but off the crossbar.
Seattle will test its unbeaten streak at the Los Angeles Galaxy on July 4, and New England visits Real Salt Lake the same day for its next MLS match.
- NEW ENGLAND: 1
Jun 26 6:01 PM
- Seattle Sounders FC Goal - Fernandez (4) 40th minute.
Revolution 1, Sounders FC 2 1st - 4'Jun 26 4:48 PM
- Seattle Sounders FC Goal - Wahl (1) 34th minute.
Revolution 1, Sounders FC 1 1st - 10'Jun 26 4:43 PM
- New England Revolution Goal - Nyassi (1) 3rd minute.
Revolution 1, Sounders FC 0 1st - 41'Jun 26 4:11 PM
- NEW ENGLAND: 0
1st Half - 44'
Jun 26 4:07 PM
- Adi leads Timbers over Sounders in Cascadia Cup Jun 28
- 'Caps ease past Revs at Gillette Jun 27
- Timbers, Sounders set for Cascadia clash Jun 26
- 'Caps continue road trip in New England Jun 26
- Kamara leads the way as Columbus edges New England Jun 24
- Sapong's goal lifts Union past Sounders Jun 24
- Revs, Crew SC tangle at MAPFRE Stadium Jun 23
- Union set for stern test against Sounders Jun 23
- Rolfe's double leads United past Revs Jun 21
- San Jose doubles up on Sounders Jun 20
- East rivals tangle as DCU hosts Revolution Jun 19
- Sounders on the hunt for 2nd straight win against 'Quakes Jun 19