Earthquakes, Union finish scoreless at Buck ShawJul 10, 2011 - 4:59 AM Santa Clara, CA (Sports Network) - Jon Busch made five saves as the San Jose Earthquakes tied the Philadelphia Union, 0-0, on Saturday night at Buck Shaw Stadium in Major League Soccer.
Busch posted his fifth shutout of the year, as he was saved by the right post in the final minutes on a shot from Philadelphia's Kyle Nakazawa.
San Jose (5-6-7) watched its winless streak reach six games as it settled for its fifth draw in 10 home matches.
Faryd Mondragon posted his sixth shutout for Philadelphia (5-6-7), which moved into a tie with Red Bull New York atop the Eastern Conference.
Both sides created a few decent chances, but Nakazawa's deflected shot off the right post with four minutes remaining in normal time was the closest either side came to scoring.
Philadelphia earned its fifth road result this season, as it has two wins and three draws in nine road games. Although the Union are even on points with New York, they have played two fewer games than the Red Bulls.
San Jose is 17 points behind the first-place Los Angeles Galaxy in the Western Conference, but has just six fewer points than Philadelphia and New York.
The Earthquakes return to MLS action July 16 at the Columbus Crew. The Union visit the New England Revolution on July 17 in their next MLS match.
- Edu saves point for Union in draw with Impact Jun 27
- Galaxy, 'Quakes set for California Clasico Jun 26
- Union ready to tangle with Impact at PPL Jun 26
- Sapong's goal lifts Union past Sounders Jun 24
- Union set for stern test against Sounders Jun 23
- Husidic, Zardes help Galaxy smash Union Jun 21
- San Jose doubles up on Sounders Jun 20
- Union set to battle Galaxy at StubHub Center Jun 19
- Sounders on the hunt for 2nd straight win against 'Quakes Jun 19
- NYC snaps winless skid as Mullins leaves it late Jun 6
- Dallas eyes turnaround at San Jose Jun 5
- Union aim to keep rolling against NYCFC at PPL Jun 5