Rapids extend home unbeaten streak with win over CrewAug 6, 2011 - 3:33 AM Commerce City, CO (Sports Network) - The Colorado Rapids extended their home unbeaten streak to five games Friday as they defeated the Columbus Crew 2-0 at Dick's Sporting Goods Park.
Still in fourth place in the Western Conference, the win gives the Rapids (9- 6-10) 37 points on the season and moves them to within a point of the third place Seattle Sounders FC.
Colorado's Jeff Larentowicz had the best chance in a very uninspiring first half. He hit a blistering shot in the 15th minute, but it was placed directly at Columbus goalkeeper Will Hesmer.
Brian Mullan brought the game to life in the 54th minute when he ripped a shot that found its way through traffic and into the upper corner of the net to give Colorado the lead.
"Omar [Cummings] gave it me and I had miles and miles of space, so I hit it and I got lucky," Mullan modestly told Fox Soccer Channel about his tremendous shot from distance.
A well-timed run and perfectly-executed through ball gave Andres Mendoza a golden opportunity to equalize for Columbus, but Colorado goalkeeper Matt Pickens was equal to the task, making a crucial save after rarely seeing action throughout the match.
MLS All-Star Omar Cummings provided the insurance goal for the Rapids, as he took a Sanna Nyassi through ball and slipped a shot past an on-rushing Hesmer.
Columbus scrambled to find an equalizer that never came, as Colorado did well to maintain possession and ensure the 2-0 victory.
Columbus (9-7-7) remains in first place in the Eastern Conference with 34 points, but could fall to second place with if the Philadelphia Union win on Saturday.
Both clubs return to action on August 13th as the Rapids travel to Buck Shaw Stadium to face the San Jose Earthquakes, while the Crew will return home to host the New England Revolution at Crew Stadium.
- Columbus earns draw with RSL at Rio Tinto Jun 28
- Sporting continues home success against Rapids Jun 27
- Rapids roll into Kansas City to tussle with Sporting Jun 26
- Columbus hits the road to face RSL Jun 26
- Second-half spurt leads Orlando past Colorado Jun 24
- Kamara leads the way as Columbus edges New England Jun 24
- Orlando tries to get back on track against Rapids Jun 23
- Revs, Crew SC tangle at MAPFRE Stadium Jun 23
- Serna's late goal rescues Rapids Jun 19
- West rivals clash as Rapids host FCD Jun 18
- Higuain helps Crew SC draw Galaxy Jun 13
- Crew SC, Galaxy square off at Mapfre Stadium Jun 12