'Quakes winless in 10 after draw with TimbersAug 7, 2011 - 5:24 AM Santa Clara, CA (Sports Network) - San Jose forward Alan Gordon revealed after Saturday's Major League Soccer game against Portland he will have surgery next week.
The Earthquakes, now winless in 10 matches, are glad he waited until after the weekend.
Gordon, who said he might have a double hernia, came off the bench to score in the 67th minute as San Jose tied Portland, 1-1, at Buck Shaw Stadium.
The Earthquakes (5-8-10) have not won since June 11 at D.C. United, but Gordon prevented a fifth loss during the winless streak. San Jose has six ties during the skid.
Portland (7-10-5) earned its fourth result on the road this year - three draws and one win - behind Kenny Cooper's goal in the 23rd minute.
The Timbers maintained their one-point cushion over the Earthquakes near the bottom of the Western Conference. Portland is seventh and San Jose is eighth, well clear of last-place Vancouver Whitecaps FC.
Portland grabbed the lead inside 25 minutes when Jorge Perlaza broke free down the right wing, then slipped a pass into the middle to an open Cooper to drive home from six yards for his fourth goal of the season.
Sam Cronin found the post just after the hour mark as San Jose pressured, then the tying goal followed in the 67th. Steven Beitashour sent a pass in from the right wing and Gordon sneaked around a defender to score off a header.
San Jose avoided a shutout for just the third time during the winless run, and faces matches against two of the better teams in MLS in the coming weeks. The Colorado Rapids visit Buck Shaw on Aug. 13, and the Earthquakes visit the Los Angeles Galaxy the following week.
Portland continues its road trip with games at the Houston Dynamo and Sporting Kansas City.
- PORTLAND: 1
SAN JOSE: 1
Aug 7 12:29 AM
- San Jose Goal - Gordon (1) 67th minute
Timbers 1, Earthquakes 1 1st - 22'Aug 7 12:02 AM
- PORTLAND: 1
SAN JOSE: 0
Aug 6 11:24 PM
- Portland Goal - Cooper (4) 23rd minute
Timbers 1, Earthquakes 0 1st - 21'Aug 6 11:01 PM
- PORTLAND: 0
SAN JOSE: 0
1st Half - 44'
Aug 6 10:37 PM
- Timbers' Adi named Player of the Week Jun 30
- Adi leads Timbers over Sounders in Cascadia Cup Jun 28
- Timbers, Sounders set for Cascadia clash Jun 26
- Galaxy, 'Quakes set for California Clasico Jun 26
- Keane shines as Los Angeles pummels Portland Jun 25
- West rivals clash as Galaxy host Timbers Jun 23
- Timbers top Dynamo for fourth straight win Jun 21
- San Jose doubles up on Sounders Jun 20
- Timbers aim to continue surge against Dynamo Jun 19
- Sounders on the hunt for 2nd straight win against 'Quakes Jun 19
- Adi's brace helps Timbers topple Revs Jun 7
- Dallas eyes turnaround at San Jose Jun 5