Seattle's six overshadows Cunningham's recordAug 27, 2011 - 10:04 PM Seattle, WA (Sports Network) - Columbus Crew veteran Jeff Cunningham set a new Major League Soccer record with his 134th career goal, but it was overshadowed in a 6-2 loss to Seattle Sounders FC.
Lamar Neagle scored a hat trick, Mauro Rosales had a goal and two assists, and Michael Fucito added a goal and an assist, as Seattle cruised to the lopsided win over Columbus at CenturyLink Field on Saturday.
Neagle opened the scoring after just four minutes, Rosales converted a penalty in the 16th, Neagle added his second after just 21 minutes, and Fucito notched his first of the season with five minutes left in the first half.
After Cunningham scored early in the second half to break a tie atop the all- time scorers list with Jaime Moreno, Neagle sealed his hat trick with a rocket off the underside of the crossbar.
Josh Gardner scored Columbus' other goal, but equaled it out with an own goal.
Seattle (13-5-9) won for the eighth time in its last 11 matches and climbed to within just three points of the first-place Los Angeles Galaxy in the Western Conference.
Columbus (11-8-7) had won four of its last five, but remained atop the Eastern Conference despite the loss. The Crew began the weekend with a four-point lead atop the standings.
Seattle opened the scoring inside five minutes when Neagle made a quick throw- in from the left to Fucito, then sprinted down field to receive a return pass. Neagle then converted to the bottom right for his first goal.
Rosales doubled the lead from the spot after Columbus' Rich Balchan was called for a handball on the edge of the area, converting to the left past goalkeeper William Hesmer. Rosales' goal was his fifth of the season.
Neagle's second goal in the 21st minute was the best goal of the opening half, as he ran onto a right-wing cross from James Riley and hit a volley inside the left post from six yards.
Andres Mendoza found the crossbar just before the 30-minute mark for Columbus, but Seattle was again on target five minutes before half.
Rosales set up the fourth goal of the first half for Seattle, as he settled a poor first touch, then found Fucito making a run to the near post. Fucito made a perfect first touch into space, then turned and fired inside the near post.
Columbus pulled a goal back just before the hour mark when Emilio Renteria won a penalty, and Cunningham converted to the bottom right to set the new record.
But Neagle drove a blast off the underside of the crossbar and it bounced over the line before coming out, but was correctly ruled a goal after a moment of confusion in the 70th.
Gardner drove a free kick over the wall in the 73rd, but scored an own goal on the other end one minute later as Seattle set a new club record for goals in a game. The Sounders had never scored more than four before in an MLS match.
Seattle hosts Real Salt Lake in its next MLS match on Sept. 10, when Columbus hosts Toronto FC in its next league match.
- COLUMBUS: 2
Aug 27 5:57 PM
- Seattle Goal - Gardner (OG) 74th minute
Crew SC 2, Sounders FC 6 1st - 12'Aug 27 5:42 PM
- Seattle Goal - Neagle (5) 70th minute
Crew SC 1, Sounders FC 5 1st - 19'Aug 27 5:35 PM
- Columbus Goal - Cunningham (2) (PK) 59th minute
Crew SC 1, Sounders FC 4 1st - 30'Aug 27 5:23 PM
- COLUMBUS: 0
Aug 27 4:54 PM
- Seattle Goal - Fucito (1) 40th minute
Crew SC 0, Sounders FC 4 1st - 4'Aug 27 4:49 PM
- Seattle Goal - Neagle (4) 21st minute
Crew SC 0, Sounders FC 3 1st - 23'Aug 27 4:33 PM
- Seattle Goal - Rosales (5) (PK) 16th minute
Crew SC 0, Sounders FC 2 1st - 28'Aug 27 4:23 PM
- Seattle Goal - Neagle (3) 4th minute
Crew SC 0, Sounders FC 1 1st - 40'Aug 27 4:12 PM
- COLUMBUS: 0
1st Half - 44'
Aug 27 4:07 PM
- Adi leads Timbers over Sounders in Cascadia Cup Jun 28
- Columbus earns draw with RSL at Rio Tinto Jun 28
- Timbers, Sounders set for Cascadia clash Jun 26
- Columbus hits the road to face RSL Jun 26
- Kamara leads the way as Columbus edges New England Jun 24
- Sapong's goal lifts Union past Sounders Jun 24
- Revs, Crew SC tangle at MAPFRE Stadium Jun 23
- Union set for stern test against Sounders Jun 23
- San Jose doubles up on Sounders Jun 20
- Sounders on the hunt for 2nd straight win against 'Quakes Jun 19
- Neagle lifts Sounders past FCD at CenturyLink Jun 14
- Higuain helps Crew SC draw Galaxy Jun 13