'Caps leave it late in win over DynamoAug 28, 2011 - 1:20 AM Vancouver, BC (Sports Network) - Vancouver Whitecaps FC left it late at Empire Field, as a Shea Salinas goal late in the second half handed the Whitecaps a 1-0 victory over the Houston Dynamo.
Goalkeeper Tally Hall was superb for the Dynamo, making impressive saves throughout the match. But he was unable to ensure a clean sheet, as Salinas broke the deadlock in the 86th minute to claim all three points for the Whitecaps.
After a scoreless first half, the best scoring opportunity of the game fell to Vancouver's leading scorer, Eric Hassli.
Getting on the end of a Gershon Koffie through ball, Hassli cut inside of the penalty box before unleashing a shot that was heading for the upper corner, but Hall parried the ball out of play.
As both teams traded scoring chances in the second period, it was an unlikely source who eventually conjured the game-winning goal.
Salinas collected a pass on the left flank from Long Tan before penetrating into the box and ripping a shot to the far post past Hall. It was midfielder's first goal of the year.
It was Vancouver's fourth win of the season, breaking a two-match losing skid for the club. It also snapped Houston's five-match unbeaten streak, as the Dynamo miss a chance to climb in the Eastern Conference standings.
Vancouver (4-13-9) returns to action on September 10 at Red Bull New York, while Houston (8-8-11) will face a tough road test at Sporting Kansas City the same day.
- 'Caps ease past Revs at Gillette Jun 27
- Castillo, FC Dallas claim El Capitan in win over Dynamo Jun 27
- 'Caps continue road trip in New England Jun 26
- Dynamo, FCD battle for El Capitan Jun 25
- Timbers top Dynamo for fourth straight win Jun 21
- Ousted saves two PK's as Whitecaps top Red Bulls Jun 20
- Timbers aim to continue surge against Dynamo Jun 19
- Red Bulls try to stop the rot against Vancouver Jun 19
- Manneh's strike sends 'Caps past Galaxy Jun 7
- Whitecaps hope to end struggles at Galaxy Jun 5
- Dynamo, Red Bulls clash at BBVA Jun 4
- Canadian rivals clash as Impact host 'Caps Jun 2