Barrett's stoppage-time goal lifts L.A. over CrewSep 25, 2011 - 1:50 AM Columbus, OH (Sports Network) - The Los Angeles Galaxy were just fine without David Beckham and Robbie Keane on Saturday night.
Even if it took longer than 90 minutes to do what they've done all year: win.
Chad Barrett scored three minutes into injury time and Los Angeles downed the Columbus Crew, 1-0, on Saturday at Crew Stadium in Major League Soccer.
Beckham and Keane were both left off the roster, and Landon Donovan started on the bench. But Donovan entered in the second half, and his shot deep in extra time resulted in a rebound that Barrett fired home from close range.
Barrett's fifth goal of the season handed L.A. (17-3-10) its league-high 17th victory of the season as it won for the fifth time in its last six and for the eighth time in its last 10.
The Galaxy sit comfortably atop the Western Conference, and took another step toward the Supporters' Shield - given to the team with the best record in the regular season.
Columbus (11-11-8) lost for the fourth time during a five-game winless streak, and dropped out of first place in the Eastern Conference.
The Crew trail the Houston Dynamo by one point, are even with Sporting Kansas City, and just two ahead of the Philadelphia Union. The top six clubs in the East are separated by just four points.
- LOS ANGELES: 1
Sep 24 9:26 PM
- Los Angeles Goal - Barrett (5) 90th minute
Galaxy 1, Crew SC 0 1st - 0'Sep 24 9:25 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Sep 24 8:23 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
1st Half - 44'
Sep 24 7:37 PM
- Columbus earns draw with RSL at Rio Tinto Jun 28
- Galaxy, 'Quakes set for California Clasico Jun 26
- Columbus hits the road to face RSL Jun 26
- Keane shines as Los Angeles pummels Portland Jun 25
- Kamara leads the way as Columbus edges New England Jun 24
- Galaxy's Zardes named Player of the Week Jun 23
- West rivals clash as Galaxy host Timbers Jun 23
- Revs, Crew SC tangle at MAPFRE Stadium Jun 23
- Husidic, Zardes help Galaxy smash Union Jun 21
- Union set to battle Galaxy at StubHub Center Jun 19
- Higuain helps Crew SC draw Galaxy Jun 13
- Crew SC, Galaxy square off at Mapfre Stadium Jun 12