De Rosario makes immediate impact in N.Y. draw vs. DynamoApr 3, 2011 - 2:07 AM Harrison, NJ (Sports Network) - The Houston Dynamo and Red Bull New York battled to a 1-1 draw at Red Bull Arena in Major League Soccer action on Saturday.
After battling to a scoreless first half, the teams traded goals in the first five minutes of the second half to settle for a share of the points.
Houston (0-1-2) had the better of the play in the opening frame, with striker Brian Ching looking dangerous before being subbed out with an apparent rib injury about five minutes before the break.
New York's newest midfielder, Dwayne De Rosario, who came over in a trade from Toronto on Friday, saw his first action with his new club, coming on to start the second half.
He made an immediate impact when his first touch on the ball was a pass into space that Red Bulls attacker Dane Richards ran onto. Richards sprinted into the Houston area, cut back past a defender, and deposited the ball in the back of the net for the 1-0 lead in the 47th minute.
The lead was short-lived, however, as Houston got the equalizer just three minutes later.
After a goal-kick by Houston, the ball was skipped into the offensive third by rookie striker Will Bruin. Cam Weaver, who replaced Ching in the first half, ran onto the ball behind the defense and chipped it over onrushing New York goalkeeper Bouna Coundoul to tie the game at one.
The Red Bulls (1-0-2) had the better of the play the rest of the way, but Houston goalkeeper Tally Hall came up big to ensure his team would earn a point on the road.
Houston will be gunning for its first win of the season when it hosts the expansion Vancouver Whitecaps FC in its next MLS game on April 10, while the Red Bulls will be gunning for the full points at Philadelphia a day earlier in their next MLS fixture.
- HOUSTON: 1
NEW YORK: 1
Apr 2 9:30 PM
- HOUSTON: 1
NEW YORK: 1
2nd Half - 50'
Dynamo 1, Red Bulls 1 2nd - 50'Apr 2 8:49 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
NEW YORK: 0
1st Half - 1'
Apr 2 7:39 PM
- Wright-Phillips, Red Bulls down NYCFC at Yankee Stadium Jun 29
- Castillo, FC Dallas claim El Capitan in win over Dynamo Jun 27
- Red Bulls, NYCFC set for New York derby Jun 26
- Dynamo, FCD battle for El Capitan Jun 25
- New York halts losing skid against nine-man RSL Jun 24
- RSL tries to pile more misery on RBNY Jun 23
- Timbers top Dynamo for fourth straight win Jun 21
- Ousted saves two PK's as Whitecaps top Red Bulls Jun 20
- Timbers aim to continue surge against Dynamo Jun 19
- Red Bulls try to stop the rot against Vancouver Jun 19
- Dynamo, Red Bulls clash at BBVA Jun 4
- NYC, Dynamo share the spoils at Yankee Stadium May 30