N.Y., Colorado battle to draw after goal explosionMay 26, 2011 - 2:16 AM Harrison, NJ (Sports Network) - The Colorado Rapids and Red Bull New York battled to a 2-2 draw in Major League Soccer action at Red Bull Arena on Wednesday night.
All four of the game's goals came in a six-minute span in the first half, the most prolific goal-scoring stretch in either team's franchise history.
The first-half goal explosion started in the 27th minute on a controversial play.
Rapids striker Andre Akpan looked like he was taken down just outside the Red Bulls penalty area, but referee Jorge Gonzalez ruled a penalty and Jeff Larentowicz stepped up to take it. New York goalkeeper Greg Sutton made the initial save on the PK, but the rebound went right back to Larentowicz for an easy finish.
New York equalized just two minutes later when Dwayne De Rosario played a cross to striker Thierry Henry, who blasted home for his sixth goal of the season.
Just three minutes later Colorado made it 2-1 off another set piece.
Henry took down Wells Thompson outside the area setting up a free kick. Larentowicz took the chance, which went right through the defensive wall and in for his second goal of the game and third of the season.
But New York struck right back in the 33rd minute when Roy Miller chipped a pass to Luke Rodgers breaking into the Rapids penalty area. Rodgers then played a shot past an onrushing Matt Pickens for his fourth goal of the season.
Both teams are back in action on Saturday, with New York making its first ever trip to Vancouver to take on the expansion Whitecaps, and Colorado hosting Sporting Kansas City.
- COLORADO: 2
NEW YORK: 2
May 25 10:06 PM
- COLORADO: 2
NEW YORK: 2
1st Half - 35'
Rapids 2, Red Bulls 2 1st - 35'May 25 8:51 PM
- COLORADO: 0
NEW YORK: 0
1st Half - 1'
May 25 8:15 PM
- Wright-Phillips, Red Bulls down NYCFC at Yankee Stadium Jun 29
- Sporting continues home success against Rapids Jun 27
- Red Bulls, NYCFC set for New York derby Jun 26
- Rapids roll into Kansas City to tussle with Sporting Jun 26
- Second-half spurt leads Orlando past Colorado Jun 24
- New York halts losing skid against nine-man RSL Jun 24
- Orlando tries to get back on track against Rapids Jun 23
- RSL tries to pile more misery on RBNY Jun 23
- Ousted saves two PK's as Whitecaps top Red Bulls Jun 20
- Serna's late goal rescues Rapids Jun 19
- Red Bulls try to stop the rot against Vancouver Jun 19
- West rivals clash as Rapids host FCD Jun 18