Fire continue to roll with win at TFCSep 13, 2012 - 1:05 AM Toronto, ON (Sports Network) - The Chicago Fire continued their run of fine form with a 2-1 win over Toronto FC at BMO Field on Wednesday.
The Fire jumped out to a comfortable first-half lead thanks to Alvaro Fernandez and Chris Rolfe. They continued to dominate until the late stages when Eric Hassli brought TFC to within a goal, but it proved to be nothing more than consolation.
Chicago (14-8-5) has won five of its last six league matches to jump into second place in the Eastern Conference with 47 points.
Toronto (5-17-6) stays bottom of the East on 21 points.
Fernandez, who was acquired from Seattle Sounders FC in a mid-season trade, put the visitors in front in the 13th minute. Pavel Pardo hit the post with a right-footed shot but stuck with the play to send a cross back into the danger area where Fernandez was waiting to nod home his first goal with his new club.
The lead was doubled just before halftime when a failed clearance by the Toronto defense was hammered home by Rolfe's one-time volley through traffic.
Hassli capped a fine passage of play to cut the deficit in half in the 79th minute, latching on to Luis Silva's through ball and firing a shot past Sean Johnson.
That goal sparked a more confident spell of play for Toronto, but the Canadian club was unable to conjure an equalizer. Its winless run has been extended to eight games.
- CHICAGO: 2
TORONTO FC: 1
Sep 12 9:02 PM
- Toronto FC Goal - Hassli 4 (unassisted), 79th minute
Fire 2, Toronto FC 1 2nd - 79'Sep 12 8:46 PM
- Chicago Goal - Rolfe 6 (unassisted), 42nd minute
Fire 2, Toronto FC 0 1st - 43'Sep 12 7:53 PM
- Chicago Goal - Fernandez 3 (Pardo), 13th minute
Fire 1, Toronto FC 0 1st - 14'Sep 12 7:23 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
TORONTO FC: 0
1st Half - 1'
Sep 12 7:09 PM
- DCU, TFC play to scoreless draw Jun 27
- In-form TFC meets East leaders DCU Jun 26
- Doyle's blast fires DCU past Chicago Jun 24
- Bradley, Giovinco help TFC topple Montreal Jun 24
- United aims for second straight win against Fire Jun 23
- Canadian rivals clash as TFC tangles with Montreal Jun 23
- Villa's brace propels NYC past TFC Jun 20
- TFC, NYC aim to continue winning ways Jun 19
- Quick strikes lead Revs past Fire Jun 13
- Revs aim to stop the rot against Fire Jun 12
- TFC's Giovinco claims second straight Player of the Week honor Jun 9
- Orlando City stuns Fire with late rally Jun 6