Correa's PK lifts Goats past Galaxy in Super ClasicoMay 20, 2012 - 5:04 AM Chivas USA's Jose Erick Correa piled more misery on the Los Angeles Galaxy as his second-half penalty kick was enough to hand the Goats a 1-0 win in the Super Clasico on Saturday.
The victory sees Chivas (4-6-1) claim its first home points of the season while dooming Los Angeles (3-6-2) to a five-game winless run.
Galaxy head coach Bruce Arena put out a slightly weakened squad to begin the match, opting to start with David Beckham and Edson Buddle on the bench. Robbie Keane, who is expected to depart in order to join up with the Irish national team ahead of the European Championships, did not dress.
Their squad will be even thinner in their next outing as David Junior Lopes was sent off in the build-up to Correa's penalty for handling the ball and denying a clear goal.
Chivas came closest to breaking Saturday's first-half deadlock when Miller Bolanos slammed a shot from distance off the post. His effort bounced back into play as the Galaxy cleared their lines.
The second half played out like a chess match until the Galaxy were reduced to 10 men in the 70th minute.
A long ball pumped into the box was not punched to safety by Los Angeles goalkeeper Brian Perk and Correa rifled the loose ball on goal. Lopes was covering on the goal line and blocked the effort with his outstretched arm, earning himself a red card and gifting a penalty kick to the Goats.
Correa converted the ensuing kick but it was disallowed when referee Mark Geiger correctly ruled that Alejandro Moreno had encroached before the shot came off. It ultimately made no difference as Correa buried the second attempt moments later.
Chivas moves ahead of Los Angeles in the Western Conference table as the Goats improve to 13 points on the season, two points better than the Galaxy who sit second from bottom.
Both teams return to action Wednesday as the Goats head to Red Bull Arena to face Red Bull New York while the Galaxy welcome the San Jose Earthquakes to The Home Depot Center.
- LOS ANGELES: 0
CHIVAS USA: 1
May 20 12:30 AM
- Chivas USA Goal - Correa 2 (PK), 72nd minute
Galaxy 0, Chivas USA 1 2nd - 73'May 20 12:09 AM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
CHIVAS USA: 0
1st Half - 1'
May 19 10:39 PM
- Galaxy, 'Quakes set for California Clasico Jun 26
- Keane shines as Los Angeles pummels Portland Jun 25
- Galaxy's Zardes named Player of the Week Jun 23
- West rivals clash as Galaxy host Timbers Jun 23
- Husidic, Zardes help Galaxy smash Union Jun 21
- Union set to battle Galaxy at StubHub Center Jun 19
- Higuain helps Crew SC draw Galaxy Jun 13
- Crew SC, Galaxy square off at Mapfre Stadium Jun 12
- Manneh's strike sends 'Caps past Galaxy Jun 7
- Whitecaps hope to end struggles at Galaxy Jun 5
- Revs square off with Galaxy in MLS Cup rematch May 29
- Galaxy, RSL renew rivalry at StubHub May 26