Davis leads Houston to another away winMar 17, 2012 - 11:12 PM San Francisco, CA (Sports Network) - A first-half penalty kick from Brad Davis was enough for the Houston Dynamo to claim a 1-0 win over the San Jose Earthquakes at AT&T Park on Saturday.
Houston (2-0-0) needed 16 games to collect its first road win of the season last term, but Dominic Kinnear's side has now won its first two away contests this season, both without conceding a goal.
San Jose's Chris Wondolowski was hoping to equal the MLS mark of scoring at least one goal in seven successive matches, and he nearly did so early on by striking the post from a tight angle in the ninth minute.
But five minutes later, Earthquakes (1-1-0) goalkeeper Jon Busch came off his line and crashed into Houston's Brian Ching, giving the Dynamo a penalty kick.
Davis stepped forward, and although Busch guessed correctly and got a hand to the ball, he was unable to keep it out.
Houston goalkeeper Tally Hall had to be alert to tip a wayward cross from Ramiro Corrales over the crossbar just before halftime, while Hall did well to parry a shot from Wondolowski after the forward broke into the area on the hour mark.
Tressor Moreno came off the bench in the second half to make his 'Quakes debut and he almost set up the equalizing goal in the final 10 minutes but Shea Salinas shot the ball into the outside of the net after Moreno played him into the area on the right.
- HOUSTON: 1
SAN JOSE: 0
Mar 17 7:00 PM
- Houston Goal - Davis 1 (PK), 14th minute
Dynamo 1, Earthquakes 0 1st - 15'Mar 17 5:24 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
SAN JOSE: 0
1st Half - 1'
Mar 17 5:12 PM
- Castillo, FC Dallas claim El Capitan in win over Dynamo Jun 27
- Galaxy, 'Quakes set for California Clasico Jun 26
- Dynamo, FCD battle for El Capitan Jun 25
- Timbers top Dynamo for fourth straight win Jun 21
- San Jose doubles up on Sounders Jun 20
- Timbers aim to continue surge against Dynamo Jun 19
- Sounders on the hunt for 2nd straight win against 'Quakes Jun 19
- Dallas eyes turnaround at San Jose Jun 5
- Dynamo, Red Bulls clash at BBVA Jun 4
- NYC, Dynamo share the spoils at Yankee Stadium May 30
- Moore powers TFC past 'Quakes May 30
- Houston hits the road to face struggling NYC May 29