Crew, Dynamo explode for four second-half goalsApr 22, 2012 - 1:49 AM Columbus, OH (Sports Network) - A total of four second-half goals, including a brace from Eddie Gaven, saw the Columbus Crew and Houston Dynamo exchange leads and play to a 2-2 draw at Crew Stadium on Saturday.
A tame opening period gave way to a thrilling second half that saw all four goals scored in the span of 22 minutes. Will Bruin had given Houston the lead in the 59th minute before Gaven's two-goal effort put Columbus in front. The Dynamo ultimately drew level nine minutes from time with Brian Ching scoring his first goal of the season.
Houston's opening goal came from a corner kick as Adam Moffat swung a delivery into the box. Bruin was tightly marked but was able to connect, glancing his head into the far corner.
Columbus responded quickly and equalized just four minutes later as Gaven made the most of a defensive miscue and slotted his effort past an out-of-position Tally Hall.
Gaven capped some impressive build-up play in the 74th minute to hand Columbus the lead and bag his second goal of the season. Nemanja Vukovic played a searching ball into the penalty area to find Aaron Schoenfeld, who chested the ball bag to the top of the box where Gaven was waiting to rocket a shot into the roof of the net.
The Dynamo were able to level the score before the final whistle though, and it was Bruin who turned provider. The Houston striker collected a failed clearance and centered the ball for Ching to finish.
Columbus (2-3-1) snaps a two-game losing skid with the draw, improving to seven points on the season. With a 1-1-1 home record through three games, the Crew will remain in Ohio for their next outing, a meeting with Vancouver Whitecaps FC on April 28.
Houston (2-1-2) will continue its lengthy road trip in its next outing - the club will not play at home until May 12 when BBVA Compass Stadium opens. The Dynamo will head to RFK Stadium for a tilt with D.C. United on April 28.
- HOUSTON: 2
Apr 21 9:31 PM
- Houston Goal - Ching 1 (Bruin), 81st minute
Dynamo 2, Crew SC 2 2nd - 82'Apr 21 9:18 PM
- Columbus Goal - Gaven 2 (Schoenfeld), 74th minute
Dynamo 1, Crew SC 2 2nd - 75'Apr 21 9:10 PM
- Columbus goal - Gaven 1 (unassisted), 63rd minute
Dynamo 1, Crew SC 1 2nd - 64'Apr 21 9:01 PM
- Houston Goal - Bruin 2 (Moffat), 59th minute
Dynamo 1, Crew SC 0 2nd - 60'Apr 21 8:55 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
1st Half - 1'
Apr 21 7:37 PM
- Columbus earns draw with RSL at Rio Tinto Jun 28
- Castillo, FC Dallas claim El Capitan in win over Dynamo Jun 27
- Columbus hits the road to face RSL Jun 26
- Dynamo, FCD battle for El Capitan Jun 25
- Kamara leads the way as Columbus edges New England Jun 24
- Revs, Crew SC tangle at MAPFRE Stadium Jun 23
- Timbers top Dynamo for fourth straight win Jun 21
- Timbers aim to continue surge against Dynamo Jun 19
- Higuain helps Crew SC draw Galaxy Jun 13
- Crew SC, Galaxy square off at Mapfre Stadium Jun 12
- Montreal holds off Crew for first road win Jun 6
- Impact aim to end road troubles in Columbus Jun 5