Santos scores twice to lead United over DynamoApr 29, 2012 - 2:15 AM Washington, D.C. (Sports Network) - Maicon Santos scored twice as D.C. United edged the Houston Dynamo, 3-2, on Saturday at RFK Stadium for its first back- to-back wins in Major League Soccer in three seasons.
Santos scored his fifth and sixth goals, including the game-winner in the 70th minute, and 2011 league MVP Dwayne De Rosario added his first this season.
United (4-2-3) ended a five-game run without a win against Houston (2-2-2) for its first consecutive wins since 2009. D.C. is unbeaten in its last six games, and is second in the Eastern Conference.
Will Bruin scored twice for Houston, which is winless since opening the season with successive victories. The Dynamo have played all six matches on the road.
United, which lost its first two matches this season, downed Red Bull New York last week to move into second place in the East, and used the 4-1 win over its rivals to set up another chance at consecutive wins.
Santos put United ahead after just 10 minutes at rainy RFK, as he deposited an assist from Pontius - who scored a hat trick against New York last week - with a header to the left side of the net.
D.C. held the one-goal cushion until early in the second half, when Bruin took a pass from Jermaine Taylor to scored his third of the year in the 50th minute to start a stretch of three goals in less than 10 minutes.
United answered within minutes as De Rosario sent a ball in from the left that squeezed through traffic, caught the inside of the right post and bounced into the net.
Houston tied the match again as Bruin finished a cross from Corey Ashe to the bottom left in the 59th to run his scoring total to four goals in six matches.
Santos followed with the winner off an assist from Daniel Woolard, who set up the De Rosario goal as well, when he flicked a header from the middle of the area off the bottom of the crossbar in the 70th.
United will test its undefeated run Wednesday at the San Jose Earthquakes, who lead the Western Conference. Houston visits Red Bull New York on May 9.
- HOUSTON: 2
D.C. UNITED: 3
Apr 28 9:37 PM
- D.C. United Goal - Santos 6 (Woolard), 70th minute
Dynamo 2, D.C. United 3 2nd - 72'Apr 28 9:07 PM
- Houston Goal - Bruin 4 (unassisted), 57th minute
Dynamo 2, D.C. United 2 2nd - 60'Apr 28 8:56 PM
- D.C. United Goal - De Rosario 1 (Woolard), 54th minute
Dynamo 1, D.C. United 2 2nd - 56'Apr 28 8:51 PM
- Houston Goal - Bruin 3 (Taylor), 50th minute
Dynamo 1, D.C. United 1 2nd - 50'Apr 28 8:50 PM
- D.C. United Goal - Santos 5 (Pontius), 10th minute
Dynamo 0, D.C. United 1 1st - 12'Apr 28 7:50 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
D.C. UNITED: 0
1st Half - 1'
Apr 28 7:38 PM
- DCU, TFC play to scoreless draw Jun 27
- Castillo, FC Dallas claim El Capitan in win over Dynamo Jun 27
- In-form TFC meets East leaders DCU Jun 26
- Dynamo, FCD battle for El Capitan Jun 25
- Doyle's blast fires DCU past Chicago Jun 24
- United aims for second straight win against Fire Jun 23
- Rolfe's double leads United past Revs Jun 21
- Timbers top Dynamo for fourth straight win Jun 21
- East rivals tangle as DCU hosts Revolution Jun 19
- Timbers aim to continue surge against Dynamo Jun 19
- Orlando City ready to tangle with DCU at Cirtus Bowl Jun 12
- Giovinco's brace powers TFC past DCU Jun 6