Houston opens new stadium with win over D.C.May 12, 2012 - 11:19 PM Houston, TX (Sports Network) - Brad Davis turned, saw a little opening and the lone goal in the debut of BBVA Compass Stadium followed, as the Houston Dynamo edged D.C. United, 1-0, on Saturday in Major League Soccer.
After a seven-game road trip to start the season, Davis scored off a shot from well outside the area to give Houston a win in the first-ever match in its new stadium.
The Dynamo (3-3-2) ended a five-match winless streak and handed United (5-4-3) just its second loss in its last 10 matches.
The 22,039 fans at the impressive new soccer-specific stadium witnessed a slow first half, but Je-Vaughn Watson was close to opening the scoring late when he lifted an open shot from 12 yards well over the crossbar.
Davis made the most of a small opening midway through the second half. When he turned in midfield, he saw an opening, and fired a beautiful shot just off the fingertips of United goalie Bill Hamid and into the top corner.
D.C. struggled to solve Houston's defense, but did create one last-gasp chance off a free kick from Dwayne De Rosario - who helped Houston win two MLS Cups - that found Daniel Woolard, whose header was saved by Dynamo goalie Tally Hall.
Houston has a quick turnaround for its next home game as it hosts the Portland Timbers on Tuesday. D.C. also plays again midweek as it returns to Washington, D.C. to host the Colorado Rapids on Wednesday.
- D.C. UNITED: 0
May 12 6:54 PM
- Houston Goal - Davis 1 (Hainault), 67th minute
D.C. United 0, Dynamo 1 2nd - 69'May 12 6:29 PM
- D.C. UNITED: 0
1st Half - 1'
May 12 5:00 PM
- DCU, TFC play to scoreless draw Jun 27
- Castillo, FC Dallas claim El Capitan in win over Dynamo Jun 27
- In-form TFC meets East leaders DCU Jun 26
- Dynamo, FCD battle for El Capitan Jun 25
- Doyle's blast fires DCU past Chicago Jun 24
- United aims for second straight win against Fire Jun 23
- Rolfe's double leads United past Revs Jun 21
- Timbers top Dynamo for fourth straight win Jun 21
- East rivals tangle as DCU hosts Revolution Jun 19
- Timbers aim to continue surge against Dynamo Jun 19
- Orlando City ready to tangle with DCU at Cirtus Bowl Jun 12
- Giovinco's brace powers TFC past DCU Jun 6