Santos sends United to the top of the EastMay 27, 2012 - 1:48 AM Washington, D.C. (Sports Network) - A goal from substitute Maicon Santos just after the hour mark lifted D.C. United to a 3-2 win over the New England Revolution at RFK Stadium on Saturday.
The victory is United's fourth in five games and it takes the team to the top of the Eastern Conference standings, one point clear of Red Bull New York.
The home side got off to a great start with Brandon McDonald putting them ahead after 15 minutes before Dejan Jakovic doubled the advantage just before halftime.
But New England responded with two goals in the opening five minutes of the second half as Saer Sene and A.J. Soares scored three minutes apart to level the contest.
However, United restored its lead in the 61st with Santos slotting home the winning goal before goalkeeper Bill Hamid produced his best save of the match in the 90th minute deny the Revs the equalizer.
A Branko Boskovic free kick set up the opener as he served the ball into the area, where McDonald expertly redirected it past goalkeeper Matt Reis from 12 yards with a header.
Sene nearly equalized for the Revs in the 38th when his shot went through the legs of Hamid but off the outside of the net, only for Jakovic to score on a scramble in front of the New England goal.
The Revs came out strong after the break with Benny Feilhaber's long-range shot being parried into the path of Sene, who scored on the rebound with a first-time shot.
Soares made it 2-2 a few minutes later when he headed home Chris Tierney's corner kick.
Santos came off the bench in the 57th minute and scored the winner four minutes later after playing a one-two with Dwayne De Rosario and slotting the ball home inside the right post.
Reis kept New England within a goal when he stopped Andy Najar at close range, but Hamid came up with the stop that preserved the win in the 90th minute when he tipped Kelyn Rowe's header over the crossbar.
- NEW ENGLAND: 2
D.C. UNITED: 3
May 26 9:30 PM
- D.C. United Goal - Santos 7 (De Rosario), 61st minute
Revolution 2, D.C. United 3 2nd - 62'May 26 9:00 PM
- New England Goal - Soares 1 (Tierney), 50th minute
Revolution 2, D.C. United 2 2nd - 52'May 26 8:48 PM
- New England Goal - Sene 7 (unassisted), 48th minute
Revolution 1, D.C. United 2 2nd - 49'May 26 8:47 PM
- D.C. United Goal - Jakovic 1 (unassisted), 45th minute
Revolution 0, D.C. United 2 1st - 44'May 26 8:27 PM
- D.C. United Goal - McDonald 1 (Boskovic), 15th minute
Revolution 0, D.C. United 1 1st - 13'May 26 7:56 PM
- NEW ENGLAND: 0
D.C. UNITED: 0
1st Half - 1'
May 26 7:39 PM
- 'Caps ease past Revs at Gillette Jun 27
- DCU, TFC play to scoreless draw Jun 27
- 'Caps continue road trip in New England Jun 26
- In-form TFC meets East leaders DCU Jun 26
- Doyle's blast fires DCU past Chicago Jun 24
- Kamara leads the way as Columbus edges New England Jun 24
- United aims for second straight win against Fire Jun 23
- Revs, Crew SC tangle at MAPFRE Stadium Jun 23
- Rolfe's double leads United past Revs Jun 21
- East rivals tangle as DCU hosts Revolution Jun 19
- Quick strikes lead Revs past Fire Jun 13
- Orlando City ready to tangle with DCU at Cirtus Bowl Jun 12