Columbus hands Real Salt Lake third straight lossJul 1, 2012 - 3:27 AM Columbus, OH (Sports Network) - Real Salt Lake is officially in a slump.
Tony Tchani and Eddie Gaven scored in the first half as Columbus defeated Real Salt Lake, 2-0, at Crew Stadium on Saturday in MLS.
Real has lost its last three matches. It began the year with just three losses in its first 14 games.
Columbus (6-5-4) rebounded from its first defeat in its last seven matches, as it remained in sixth and one point behind the Houston Dynamo in the East.
RSL (10-6-2), which lost its previous two matches at home to the Los Angeles Galaxy and San Jose Earthquakes, is still second in the West.
Tchani opened the scoring off a pass from Emilio Renteria, as he converted to the bottom-right corner in the 16th minute.
Gaven added his goal in the 44th minute, as he reached a corner kick from Josh Williams and drove a high shot to the middle of the net.
Columbus maintained its cushion, as it became just the fourth team to shut out Real this season. Andy Gruenebaum made two saves for the clean sheet.
The Crew visit the Montreal Impact for their next match July 8. Real Salt Lake hosts Seattle Sounders FC on Wednesday.
- REAL SALT LAKE: 0
Jun 30 10:59 PM
- Columbus Goal - Gaven 4 (Williams), 44th minute
Real Salt Lake 0, Crew SC 2 1st - 44'Jun 30 9:54 PM
- Columbus Goal - Tchani 2 (Renteria), 16th minute
Real Salt Lake 0, Crew SC 1 1st - 19'Jun 30 9:28 PM
- REAL SALT LAKE: 0
1st Half - 1'
Jun 30 9:08 PM
- Columbus earns draw with RSL at Rio Tinto Jun 28
- Columbus hits the road to face RSL Jun 26
- Kamara leads the way as Columbus edges New England Jun 24
- New York halts losing skid against nine-man RSL Jun 24
- Revs, Crew SC tangle at MAPFRE Stadium Jun 23
- RSL tries to pile more misery on RBNY Jun 23
- Garcia leaves it late as RSL edges SKC Jun 22
- RSL tries to slow streaking Sporting Jun 19
- Higuain helps Crew SC draw Galaxy Jun 13
- Crew SC, Galaxy square off at Mapfre Stadium Jun 12
- Montreal holds off Crew for first road win Jun 6
- Rocky Mountain rivals meet up as Rapids face RSL Jun 5