Robson's penalty kick lifts Vancouver over San JoseJul 23, 2012 - 1:32 AM Vancouver, BC (Sports Network) - Barry Robson converted a penalty kick in the second half and Vancouver Whitecaps FC downed the San Jose Earthquakes for the second time in MLS this season, 2-1, on Sunday at BC Place.
Dane Richards scored his first goal for Vancouver in the 20th minute and Alan Gordon equalized before halftime for San Jose, but Robson made no mistake from the spot for his second goal in as many games.
Vancouver (9-6-7) snapped a four-match winless streak, as it defeated San Jose for the second time in three meetings this season. The Whitecaps defeated the Earthquakes, 2-1, at BC Place on May 5. San Jose won at home on April 7, 3-1.
San Jose (13-5-4) lost for just the fifth time this season, and now leads Real Salt Lake by just four points atop the Western Conference. Vancouver sits nine points off the pace in third place.
Richards, recently acquired in a trade with Red Bull New York, took a through ball from Young-Pyo Lee on the right wing and rove a shot inside the far post to open the scoring.
Gordon added to his career-high total in the 38th, as he got under a left-wing cross from Marvin Chavez to head a one-hopper into the left side for his 10th goal this season. Chavez also earned his ninth assist on the play.
Vancouver found the match-winner just after the hour mark as Camilo was fouled in the area by Sam Cronin. The penalty was not initially awarded by referee Jair Marrufo, but he consulted with his assistant and gave the foul.
Robson buried the penalty high and to the left, and Vancouver - which debuted Kenny Miller late in the match - held on for its first win since July 4 at the Colorado Rapids.
Vancouver will try to close the gap on the top two squads at second-place Real Salt Lake on Friday. San Jose will try to rebound Saturday when it hosts the Chicago Fire.
- SAN JOSE: 1
VANCOUVER FC: 2
Jul 22 8:57 PM
- Vancouver Goal - Robson 2 (PK), 63rd minute
Earthquakes 1, Whitecaps FC 2 2nd - 64'Jul 22 8:27 PM
- San Jose Goal - Gordon 9 (Chavez), 38th minute
Earthquakes 1, Whitecaps FC 1 1st - 39'Jul 22 7:45 PM
- Vancouver Goal - Richards 2 (Lee), 20th minute
Earthquakes 0, Whitecaps FC 1 1st - 22'Jul 22 7:29 PM
- SAN JOSE: 0
VANCOUVER FC: 0
1st Half - 1'
Jul 22 7:07 PM
- 'Caps ease past Revs at Gillette Jun 27
- Galaxy, 'Quakes set for California Clasico Jun 26
- 'Caps continue road trip in New England Jun 26
- Ousted saves two PK's as Whitecaps top Red Bulls Jun 20
- San Jose doubles up on Sounders Jun 20
- Red Bulls try to stop the rot against Vancouver Jun 19
- Sounders on the hunt for 2nd straight win against 'Quakes Jun 19
- Manneh's strike sends 'Caps past Galaxy Jun 7
- Dallas eyes turnaround at San Jose Jun 5
- Whitecaps hope to end struggles at Galaxy Jun 5
- Canadian rivals clash as Impact host 'Caps Jun 2
- Techera helps 'Caps end losing skid May 30