FCD overturns deficit to top 10-man ColoradoAug 12, 2012 - 3:18 AM Frisco, TX (Sports Network) - FC Dallas received goals from three different sources on Saturday, earning a 3-2 win over the Colorado Rapids at FC Dallas Stadium.
The home side overturned Jaime Castrillon's opener thanks to three goals in the span of eight minutes across both halves.
Fabian Castillo drew Dallas level in the 41st minute before Jair Benitez and David Ferreira opened their scoring accounts in the 44th and 49th minutes, respectively.
Jeff Larentowicz pulled one back, but Castrillon's red card with 19 minutes left made it difficult for the visiting Rapids to conjure a late equalizer.
The result helps FC Dallas (6-11-8) improve to 26 points on the season, one point better than the Rapids (8-15-1).
Colorado took a surprise lead when Castrillon slipped in front of his mark to turn in a low cross from Brian Mullan in the 12th minute.
The Rapids appeared poised to take that one-goal advantage into halftime, but Dallas stole the lead with two goals inside the final four first-half minutes.
Dallas got on level terms with four minutes left in the opening period as Castillo capitalized on the acres of space afforded to him by the Colorado defense, slamming a low shot past Matt Pickens from distance.
Benitez then handed Dallas the lead just before the break, catching Pickens off-guard with a curling free kick in the 44th minute.
Dallas picked up in the second half right where it left off the first as Ferreira handed the home side a third goal of the night.
The playmaker turned scorer in the 49th minute, collecting a low cross from Castillo and slotting his shot past Pickens for his first goal of the year.
The Rapids answered quickly, getting back to within touching distance just six minutes later when Larentowicz fired a low free kick off the post and past Kevin Hartman.
Colorado's hill became a mountain in the 71st minute when Castrillon was issued a straight red card for lashing out at George John following a fracas.
The visitors were unable to complete the comeback, falling one goal short of earning a point in a tough road environment.
FC Dallas returns to action on Wednesday with a trip to BC Place to face Vancouver Whitecaps FC, while Colorado's next encounter is a massive home match against Chivas USA on August 18.
- COLORADO: 2
FC DALLAS: 3
Aug 11 11:01 PM
- Colorado Goal - Larentowicz 3 (Rivero), 55th minute
Rapids 2, FC Dallas 3 2nd - 55'Aug 11 10:21 PM
- FC Dallas Goal - Ferreira 1 (Castillo, De Guzman), 49th minute
Rapids 1, FC Dallas 3 2nd - 50'Aug 11 10:17 PM
- COLORADO: 1
FC DALLAS: 2
2nd Half - 90'
Rapids 1, FC Dallas 2 2nd - 90'Aug 11 9:54 PM
- FC Dallas Goal - Castillo 3 (De Guzman), 41st minute
Rapids 1, FC Dallas 1 1st - 42'Aug 11 9:50 PM
- Colorado Goal - Castrillon 6 (Mullan, Freeman), 12th minute
Rapids 1, FC Dallas 0 1st - 13'Aug 11 9:21 PM
- COLORADO: 0
FC DALLAS: 0
1st Half - 5'
Aug 11 9:13 PM
- Sporting continues home success against Rapids Jun 27
- Castillo, FC Dallas claim El Capitan in win over Dynamo Jun 27
- Rapids roll into Kansas City to tussle with Sporting Jun 26
- Dynamo, FCD battle for El Capitan Jun 25
- Second-half spurt leads Orlando past Colorado Jun 24
- Orlando tries to get back on track against Rapids Jun 23
- Serna's late goal rescues Rapids Jun 19
- West rivals clash as Rapids host FCD Jun 18
- Neagle lifts Sounders past FCD at CenturyLink Jun 14
- West foes clash as Sounders host FCD at CenturyLink Jun 12
- Dallas eyes turnaround at San Jose Jun 5
- Rocky Mountain rivals meet up as Rapids face RSL Jun 5