RSL ends losing streak with scoreless draw in PhillyAug 25, 2012 - 1:54 AM Chester, PA (Sports Network) - The good news for Real Salt Lake is that the team snapped a three-game losing streak on Friday with a 0-0 draw against the Philadelphia Union at PPL Park.
But the club certainly looked like it was playing its third game in six days.
The match lacked any real sustained flow with neither side seizing control, while chances were few and far between.
Salt Lake looked like a tired team and the Union, despite creating better chances, lacked the finishing touch to take advantage and snatch three points.
The two sides combined to put only one shot on goal in the first half, but Philadelphia's Danny Cruz wasted a great opportunity in the 42nd minute when Michael Farfan played a ball to him near the penalty spot that he fired over the net with only goalkeeper Nick Rimando to beat.
After halftime the Union nearly scored from a corner kick as Cruz swung the ball toward the near post and RSL's Ned Grabavoy needed to crash against the post to head the ball off the goal line.
Amobi Okugo tried to claim all three points for Philadelphia in stoppage time, but his goal-bound effort was kept out by a crucial block from a Salt Lake defender.
Jason Kreis' team, which sits four points back of Western Conference leaders San Jose, will now have a week to prepare for its next match at home against D.C. United, while the Union attempts to end its four-game winless streak on Wednesday against Columbus.
- REAL SALT LAKE: 0
Aug 24 9:42 PM
- REAL SALT LAKE: 0
1st Half - 1'
Aug 24 7:50 PM
- Columbus earns draw with RSL at Rio Tinto Jun 28
- Edu saves point for Union in draw with Impact Jun 27
- Union ready to tangle with Impact at PPL Jun 26
- Columbus hits the road to face RSL Jun 26
- New York halts losing skid against nine-man RSL Jun 24
- Sapong's goal lifts Union past Sounders Jun 24
- RSL tries to pile more misery on RBNY Jun 23
- Union set for stern test against Sounders Jun 23
- Garcia leaves it late as RSL edges SKC Jun 22
- Husidic, Zardes help Galaxy smash Union Jun 21
- RSL tries to slow streaking Sporting Jun 19
- Union set to battle Galaxy at StubHub Center Jun 19