Adu brace powers Union past DynamoSep 23, 2012 - 10:18 PM Chester, PA (Sports Network) - The Philadelphia Union have left a lot to be desired on the offensive end this season, but they exploded for three goals at PPL Park on Sunday to earn a 3-1 win over the Houston Dynamo.
Philadelphia entered the match with just 26 goals scored on the season. Sunday's output still leaves the Union last in the Eastern Conference in goals scored, but it was certainly a confidence-builder heading into the final stretch of the regular season.
At the forefront of Sunday's strong showing was Freddy Adu, who scored on either side of halftime.
Adu opened his account on the day in the 28th minute when he latched on to a through ball only to be denied by Houston goalkeeper Tally Hall. Adu managed to collect the rebound, skip past a defender and fire a low shot past Hall at the near post.
The Union looked likely to head into halftime with a one-goal lead, but Boniek Garcia banished that notion in the 44th minute when he received a long ball in the box and slammed a half-volley off the post and past Zac MacMath.
Philadelphia restored its lead shortly after the restart when Andre Hainault fouled Sheanon Williams in the penalty during the chaos of a Union corner kick. Adu converted the ensuing kick to complete his brace.
The result was put on ice 20 minutes from time when Josue Martinez redirected a failed shot from Amobi Okugo into the back of the net.
- HOUSTON: 1
Sep 23 6:04 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Martinez 1 (unassisted), 71st minute
Dynamo 1, Union 3 2nd - 72'Sep 23 5:42 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Adu 5 (PK), 50th minute
Dynamo 1, Union 2 2nd - 50'Sep 23 5:17 PM
- Houston Goal - Garcia 2 (Bruin, Sarkodie), 44th minute
Dynamo 1, Union 1 1st - 44'Sep 23 4:55 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Adu 4 (unassisted), 28th minute
Dynamo 0, Union 1 1st - 28'Sep 23 4:39 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
1st Half - 1'
Sep 23 4:09 PM
- Edu saves point for Union in draw with Impact Jun 27
- Castillo, FC Dallas claim El Capitan in win over Dynamo Jun 27
- Union ready to tangle with Impact at PPL Jun 26
- Dynamo, FCD battle for El Capitan Jun 25
- Sapong's goal lifts Union past Sounders Jun 24
- Union set for stern test against Sounders Jun 23
- Timbers top Dynamo for fourth straight win Jun 21
- Husidic, Zardes help Galaxy smash Union Jun 21
- Union set to battle Galaxy at StubHub Center Jun 19
- Timbers aim to continue surge against Dynamo Jun 19
- NYC snaps winless skid as Mullins leaves it late Jun 6
- Union aim to keep rolling against NYCFC at PPL Jun 5