Houston opens two-goal lead in first leg against K.C.Nov 5, 2012 - 2:22 AM Houston, TX (Sports Network) - The Houston Dynamo continued their mastery over Sporting Kansas City on Sunday and are halfway to a return trip to the Eastern Conference semifinals.
Adam Moffat and Will Bruin scored and Houston downed Kansas City, 2-0, at BBVA Compass Stadium in the first leg of their postseason series.
Houston defeated Sporting last season in the conference final to reach the MLS Cup, and is undefeated against the regular-season champions from the East this year in four meetings.
The Dynamo also won their regular-season battle with Sporting in Houston, 2-1, and are unbeaten at home this season. Overall, Houston is unbeaten in its last 26 home games dating back to last season.
Kansas City tied Houston in its two matches at Livestrong Sporting Park during the regular season and will need to overturn the two-goal deficit Wednesday at home in the second leg.
Moffat delivered the early goal when he latched onto a short pass from Bruin, made one touch into space and unleashed a beautiful half-volley from 30 yards past a diving K.C. goalkeeper Jimmy Nielsen in the 18th minute.
Bruin added his third goal of the postseason 15 minutes from time as he ran on to a cross from Calen Carr and slotted home from six yards. Bruin scored twice in a 2-1 win over the Chicago Fire in the knockout-round game.
Houston will try to defend its advantage in Kansas City, and set up a showdown with the winner of the other Eastern semifinal series between D.C. United and Red Bull New York in the two-legged conference final.
- Houston Goal - Moffat 1 (Bruin), 18th minute
Sporting Kansas City 0, Dynamo 1 1st - 21'Nov 4 4:15 PM
- SPORTING KANSAS CITY: 0
1st Half - 1'
Nov 4 3:53 PM
- Sporting continues home success against Rapids Jun 27
- Castillo, FC Dallas claim El Capitan in win over Dynamo Jun 27
- Rapids roll into Kansas City to tussle with Sporting Jun 26
- Dynamo, FCD battle for El Capitan Jun 25
- Garcia leaves it late as RSL edges SKC Jun 22
- Timbers top Dynamo for fourth straight win Jun 21
- RSL tries to slow streaking Sporting Jun 19
- Timbers aim to continue surge against Dynamo Jun 19
- Feilhaber powers Sporting past Sounders Jun 6
- Streaking Sporting set to square off with Sounders Jun 5
- Dynamo, Red Bulls clash at BBVA Jun 4
- NYC, Dynamo share the spoils at Yankee Stadium May 30