McInerney shines again as Union topples UnitedApr 21, 2013 - 11:05 PM D.C. United at RFK Stadium on Sunday.
McInerney has been a revelation for the Union this season, and his double on Sunday gives him a league-leading six goals on the campaign, while Conor Casey also chipped in a goal and an assist in the first 11 minutes of the match.
Perry Kitchen and Lionard Pajoy scored goals for United, but they were just the third and fourth goals the club has scored this season, and they weren't enough to prevent D.C. from losing for the fourth straight match.
McInerney got Philadelphia off to a flying start when a turnover in midfield allowed Casey to play him in behind the defense. McInerney then split two defenders to get into the area before calmly slotting his shot past goalkeeper Bill Hamid.
The goal didn't quite shake United from its early slumber, and Casey found the net himself four minutes later when he was picked out at the edge of the penalty area by Danny Cruz. The former Rapids frontman then drove a low shot toward goal that Hamid got a hand to but couldn't keep out.
Kitchen hauled the hosts back into the contest in the 17th minute after being set up by Dwayne De Rosario, but McInerney struck once more from a long throw- in courtesy of Sheanon Williams, which was flicked on by Amobi Okugo at the near post.
Former Union forward Pajoy pulled a goal back early in the second half for United when he headed home Daniel Woolard's cross.
However, United's best chance the rest of the way was a deflected shot from Brandon McDonald which ended up on the roof of the net.
- PHILADELPHIA: 3
D.C. UNITED: 2
Apr 21 7:01 PM
- D.C. United Goal - Pajoy 2 (Woolard), 48th minute
Union 3, D.C. United 2 2nd - 52'Apr 21 6:16 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 3
D.C. UNITED: 1
Apr 21 5:54 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - McInerney 6 (Okugo, Williams), 26th minute
Union 3, D.C. United 1 1st - 29'Apr 21 5:39 PM
- D.C. United Goal - Kitchen 1 (De Rosario, McDonald), 17th minute
Union 2, D.C. United 1 1st - 20'Apr 21 5:30 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Casey 2 (Cruz), 11th minute
Union 2, D.C. United 0 1st - 14'Apr 21 5:24 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - McInerney 5 (Casey), 7th minute
Union 1, D.C. United 0 1st - 10'Apr 21 5:20 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 0
D.C. UNITED: 0
1st Half - 1'
Apr 21 5:09 PM
- Edu saves point for Union in draw with Impact Jun 27
- DCU, TFC play to scoreless draw Jun 27
- Union ready to tangle with Impact at PPL Jun 26
- In-form TFC meets East leaders DCU Jun 26
- Doyle's blast fires DCU past Chicago Jun 24
- Sapong's goal lifts Union past Sounders Jun 24
- United aims for second straight win against Fire Jun 23
- Union set for stern test against Sounders Jun 23
- Rolfe's double leads United past Revs Jun 21
- Husidic, Zardes help Galaxy smash Union Jun 21
- East rivals tangle as DCU hosts Revolution Jun 19
- Union set to battle Galaxy at StubHub Center Jun 19