Cahill lifts New York past ColumbusMay 4, 2013 - 10:56 PM Columbus, OH (Sports Network) - Red Bull New York rattled off a third successive win on Saturday, riding Tim Cahill's late header to a 1-0 defeat of the Columbus Crew at Crew Stadium.
The result sees New York (5-4-2) go level with the Montreal Impact at the top of the Eastern Conference with 17 points apiece.
Columbus (3-3-3) has lost two of its last three matches, leaving the club on 12 points.
The Crew had a tremendous opportunity to grab the lead in the 72nd minute of Saturday's affair when Brandon Barklage committed a needless tackle on Eddie Gaven in the box, but Luis Robles denied Federico Higuain's ensuing attempt from the penalty spot.
The home side was left to rue that miss as Cahill broke the deadlock 10 minutes from time.
Johnny Steele had his attempt from the left side of the box parried away by Andy Gruenebaum, but Cahill was in the right place at the right time to put away the rebound with a header just under the crossbar.
- NEW YORK: 1
May 4 6:15 PM
- New York Goal - Cahill 3 (unassisted), 80th minute
Red Bulls 1, Crew SC 0 2nd - 82'May 4 6:03 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
May 4 5:10 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
1st Half - 1'
May 4 4:23 PM
- Wright-Phillips, Red Bulls down NYCFC at Yankee Stadium Jun 29
- Columbus earns draw with RSL at Rio Tinto Jun 28
- Red Bulls, NYCFC set for New York derby Jun 26
- Columbus hits the road to face RSL Jun 26
- Kamara leads the way as Columbus edges New England Jun 24
- New York halts losing skid against nine-man RSL Jun 24
- Revs, Crew SC tangle at MAPFRE Stadium Jun 23
- RSL tries to pile more misery on RBNY Jun 23
- Ousted saves two PK's as Whitecaps top Red Bulls Jun 20
- Red Bulls try to stop the rot against Vancouver Jun 19
- Higuain helps Crew SC draw Galaxy Jun 13
- Crew SC, Galaxy square off at Mapfre Stadium Jun 12