Dynamo, Fire battle to draw at BBVAJul 28, 2013 - 3:30 AM Houston, TX (Sports Network) - Cam Weaver and Mike Magee exchanged second- half goals on Saturday as the Houston Dynamo and Chicago Fire battled to a 1-1 draw at BBVA Compass Stadium.
The match was crucial for both sides as they looked to climb up the Eastern Conference table and closer to playoff positioning, but the stalemate leaves the sides in the same spot they were at the start of the night.
Both teams had ample scoring chances over the opening 45 minutes, but were unable to capitalize and went into the locker room at the break scoreless.
In the second half, the home side got off to a quick start and found the opening goal in the 61st minute when Brad Davis ran onto a through ball on the left flank and sent a low cross into the box for an unmarked Weaver, who tapped it in for his first goal of the season.
But Chicago got the goal right back just three minutes later when Patrick Nyarko took the ball off Houston defender Corey Ashe and raced toward the end line. Nyarko spotted Magee alone in the box and he fired home the cross to put the sides back on level terms.
Houston pushed for a winner on home soil, but Chicago's backline held up and helped the road side escape with a point.
The result leaves both teams on the outside of the playoff picture as the Fire remain in seventh place in the East on 25 points, while Houston stays in sixth place with 30 points, five behind New England for the final playoff berth.
- CHICAGO: 1
Jul 27 11:16 PM
- Chicago Goal - Magee 13 (Nyarko), 64th minute
Fire 1, Dynamo 1 2nd - 65'Jul 27 10:48 PM
- Houston Goal - Weaver 1 (Davis, Ashe), 60th minute
Fire 0, Dynamo 1 2nd - 60'Jul 27 10:47 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Jul 27 10:12 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
1st Half - 1'
Jul 27 9:25 PM
- Castillo, FC Dallas claim El Capitan in win over Dynamo Jun 27
- Dynamo, FCD battle for El Capitan Jun 25
- Doyle's blast fires DCU past Chicago Jun 24
- United aims for second straight win against Fire Jun 23
- Timbers top Dynamo for fourth straight win Jun 21
- Timbers aim to continue surge against Dynamo Jun 19
- Quick strikes lead Revs past Fire Jun 13
- Revs aim to stop the rot against Fire Jun 12
- Orlando City stuns Fire with late rally Jun 6
- OCSC, Fire lock horns at Toyota Park Jun 5
- Dynamo, Red Bulls clash at BBVA Jun 4
- Chicago invades RFK to tangle with DCU Jun 2