FC Dallas edges Colorado in playoff openerOct 22, 2006 - 3:57 AM DENVER (Ticker) -- Carlos Ruiz and Abe Thompson gave FC Dallas a leg up on the Colorado Rapids in the MLS playoffs.
Ruiz scored an early goal and Thompson added the decisive tally in the second half as Dallas posted a 2-1 victory over Colorado in the opener of their Western Conference playoff series.
In the 15th minute, Ruiz took a feed from Chris Gbandi and beat goalkeeper Joe Cannon to open the scoring.
Terry Cooke drew the Rapids even in the 23rd minute, but Thompson put Dallas back ahead 10 minutes into the second half, capitalizing on a feed from Ronnie O'Brien.
Dario Sala made six saves for FC Dallas.
Cannon turned aside two shots for Colorado, which will try to survive the series when it hosts the final leg next Saturday.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Sporting continues home success against Rapids Jun 27
- Castillo, FC Dallas claim El Capitan in win over Dynamo Jun 27
- Rapids roll into Kansas City to tussle with Sporting Jun 26
- Dynamo, FCD battle for El Capitan Jun 25
- Second-half spurt leads Orlando past Colorado Jun 24
- Orlando tries to get back on track against Rapids Jun 23
- Serna's late goal rescues Rapids Jun 19
- West rivals clash as Rapids host FCD Jun 18
- Neagle lifts Sounders past FCD at CenturyLink Jun 14
- West foes clash as Sounders host FCD at CenturyLink Jun 12
- Dallas eyes turnaround at San Jose Jun 5
- Rocky Mountain rivals meet up as Rapids face RSL Jun 5