Chivas USA wins first ever playoff gameOct 23, 2006 - 1:26 AM CARSON, California (Ticker) -- Ante Razov and Francisco Palencia scored goals as Chivas USA posted a 2-1 victory over the Houston Dynamo in Game One of the Western Conference semifinals.
The club, which was founded in August 2004 and celebrated its inaugural season in 2005, won its first ever playoff game.
The home team scored first just before halftime when Houston rookie Adrian Serioux committed a penalty against Palencia. Razov's free kick at the 45-minute mark curled just inside the right post and into the back of the net.
Palencia tallied 68 minutes in the contest when teammate Sacha Kljestan placed a free kick near the front of the goal and the forward flicked a header just inside the post to make the score 2-0.
The Dynamo's only goal came in the 74th minute, when Brian Ching split two defenders and slammed a shot into the back of the net.
Brad Guzan stopped nine shots for Chivas, which can advance to the Western Conference finals with a win next Sunday in Houston.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Castillo, FC Dallas claim El Capitan in win over Dynamo Jun 27
- Dynamo, FCD battle for El Capitan Jun 25
- Timbers top Dynamo for fourth straight win Jun 21
- Timbers aim to continue surge against Dynamo Jun 19
- Dynamo, Red Bulls clash at BBVA Jun 4
- NYC, Dynamo share the spoils at Yankee Stadium May 30
- Houston hits the road to face struggling NYC May 29
- Dynamo, Galaxy square off at StubHub Center May 21
- Bruin's brace powers Dynamo past Timbers May 16
- Timbers hit the road to tangle with Dynamo May 15
- Houston holds off Toronto to snap winless streak May 10
- TFC heads home to face Houston May 8