Ching's goal sends Dynamo into Western Conference finalOct 30, 2006 - 5:19 AM HOUSTON (Ticker) -- The Houston Dynamo would have been satisfied to send the game into overtime. Brian Ching would have none of that.
Ching scored two minutes into stoppage time to give the Dynamo to a 2-0 victory over Chivas USA and a berth in the Western Conference finals.
The Dynamo won the aggregate series, 3-2, having lost the opening game to Chivas, 1-0.
Houston needed to win by one goal to force overtime and, perhaps, a shootout, so when Brad Davis converted a penalty kick in the 64th minute for a 1-0 advantage, that seemed the likely scenario.
The 28-year-old Ching didn't let it get that far. He headed in his second goal of the playoffs to deliver a dramatic victory to the Dynamo. Dwayne De Rosario and Eddie Robinson assisted.
In the series opener, Ching also scored with about 12 minutes to play, a goal that loomed large with the aggregate format.
Pat Onstad needed to make just one save for Houston, which will host the Colorado Rapids in the Western Conference finals next Sunday.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Castillo, FC Dallas claim El Capitan in win over Dynamo Jun 27
- Dynamo, FCD battle for El Capitan Jun 25
- Timbers top Dynamo for fourth straight win Jun 21
- Timbers aim to continue surge against Dynamo Jun 19
- Dynamo, Red Bulls clash at BBVA Jun 4
- NYC, Dynamo share the spoils at Yankee Stadium May 30
- Houston hits the road to face struggling NYC May 29
- Dynamo, Galaxy square off at StubHub Center May 21
- Bruin's brace powers Dynamo past Timbers May 16
- Timbers hit the road to tangle with Dynamo May 15
- Houston holds off Toronto to snap winless streak May 10
- TFC heads home to face Houston May 8