DC ties New York, advances to East finalOct 30, 2006 - 1:43 AM WASHINGTON (Ticker) -- Christian Gomez allowed DC United to avoid a late scare.
Gomez scored in the 86th minute to help DC United forge a 1-1 tie with the New York Red Bulls and advance to the Eastern Conference finals.
After posting a 1-0 victory over New York last weekend, DC needed to win or tie Sunday to secure the two-game aggregate goals series.
DC United trailed, 1-0, late before Gomez took a feed from Joshua Gros and beat goalkeeper Jon Conway. If the Red Bulls had been leading by a goal at the end of regulation, the teams would have been forced to play overtime and, if necessary, penalty kicks would have been used to determine the series victor.
Conway finished with one save and Josmer Altidore opened the scoring for New York in the 70th minute.
Troy Perkins turned aside three shots for DC United, who will face the New England Revolution in the East finals.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Wright-Phillips, Red Bulls down NYCFC at Yankee Stadium Jun 29
- DCU, TFC play to scoreless draw Jun 27
- Red Bulls, NYCFC set for New York derby Jun 26
- In-form TFC meets East leaders DCU Jun 26
- Doyle's blast fires DCU past Chicago Jun 24
- New York halts losing skid against nine-man RSL Jun 24
- United aims for second straight win against Fire Jun 23
- RSL tries to pile more misery on RBNY Jun 23
- Rolfe's double leads United past Revs Jun 21
- Ousted saves two PK's as Whitecaps top Red Bulls Jun 20
- East rivals tangle as DCU hosts Revolution Jun 19
- Red Bulls try to stop the rot against Vancouver Jun 19