Ching lifts Houston past Chivas USAApr 15, 2007 - 5:23 AM HOUSTON (Ticker) -- One thing has not changed in a year - Houston goes to Brian Ching when it needs a goal.
Ching scored on a header in the 64th minute to lead the Houston Dynamo to a 1-0 victory over Chivas USA.
Taking a pass from Brad Davis off a free kick from the right side, Ching redirected the ball past helpless Chivas goalkeeper Brad Guzan for the game's only goal.
"Brad Davis dropped in a good ball, and I was in the right place at the right time and headed it in," Ching said. "Brad serves in a good ball, and I was just trying to get free from my man and was able to put it in the back of the net.
The MVP of the 2006 MLS Cup for the defending league champion Dynamo (1-0-1), Ching also scored the series-winning goal with a header against Chivas in the 2006 Western Conference semifinals.
"Obviously, they are a dangerous team," Guzan said. "They did well on set pieces, and we let one get away from us. We weren't mentally focused. Ching was able to get on the end of it.
"After the goal, we obviously had the mind-set to come back and score quickly, and hopefully, walk away with a tie and at least one point. Unfortunately, we came up short."
It was a physical encounter on Saturday, with 39 total fouls and four yellow cards assessed - two to each team.
"It's a win. It was a hard-fought match," Houston coach Dominic Kinnear said. "Pat (Onstad) made some saves in the first half to create some chances. We looked a lot sharper in the second half. We had a bit better pass selection at the end of the game. Overall, I am pleased. Anytime you win, I think you are happy."
Ante Razov, who received one of the yellow cards for Chivas, had a pair of outstanding scoring chances in the first half but shot high and wide.
"We had some good chances in the first half," Razov said. "Missing some golden opportunities to dominate the first half. Second half when they scored, we had to press more. We played well overall. If we played like we did tonight, we will win a lot of games."
Chivas (1-1-0) had an opportunity to tie in the 80th minute, but Houston goalkeeper Pat Onstad denied John Cunliffe.
Onstad finished with three saves, while Guzan had five.
- MLS UPDATE
HOUSTON 1 FINAL
CHIVAS - NONE
HOUSTON - Brian Ching in the 64th minute
CHIVAS - Ante Razov in the 31st minute
- Claudio Suarez in the 42nd minute
HOUSTON - Brian Mullan in the 12th minute
- Eddie Robinson in the 57th minute
Apr 15 12:34 AM
HOUSTON 1 FINAL
Apr 14 10:30 PM
- MLS UPDATE
HOUSTON GOAL: Brian Ching in the 64th minute
Chivas USA vs. DynamoApr 14 10:00 PM
HOUSTON 0 HALFTIME
Apr 14 9:25 PM
- Castillo, FC Dallas claim El Capitan in win over Dynamo Jun 27
- Dynamo, FCD battle for El Capitan Jun 25
- Timbers top Dynamo for fourth straight win Jun 21
- Timbers aim to continue surge against Dynamo Jun 19
- Dynamo, Red Bulls clash at BBVA Jun 4
- NYC, Dynamo share the spoils at Yankee Stadium May 30
- Houston hits the road to face struggling NYC May 29
- Dynamo, Galaxy square off at StubHub Center May 21
- Bruin's brace powers Dynamo past Timbers May 16
- Timbers hit the road to tangle with Dynamo May 15
- Houston holds off Toronto to snap winless streak May 10
- TFC heads home to face Houston May 8