Barrett forges tie for Chicago with goal in 85th minuteApr 16, 2007 - 4:37 AM COMMERCE CITY, Colorado (Ticker) -- Herculez Gomez and the Colorado Rapids almost survived being a man down for most of the game.
Gomez scored his second goal of the season in the 58th minute, but Chad Barrett tallied 27 minutes later as the Rapids and Chicago Fire played to 1-1 draw.
Colorado was playing a man down since the sixth minute of the contest, when Roberto Brown was given a red card for a high tackle on C.J. Brown.
"It shows our character," Gomez said. "Playing one man down and competing against a team like Chicago speaks volumes."
The first half was relatively uneventful as neither team could manage a goal during a lifeless first half.
"Sometimes it's hard to play teams with 10 men, because they really lock it in and drop alot of numbers," Chicago coach Dave Sarachan said.
The action picked up after intermission and Colorado (1-0-1) broke through when Gomez streaked down the left wing and took a pass from Nicolas Hernandez and blasted a shot from 15 yards out into the right corner of the goal past goalkeeper Matt Pickens.
"I saw the corner and fortunately I put it in the back of the net," Gomez said.
Gomez celebrated by performing a soccer version of the "Lambeau Leap," as he joined the fans in the stands.
The Fire nearly tied the game in the 59th minute, when Diego Guiterrez unloaded a hard shot at goal from the left corner. Coundoul made a diving save to preserve the lead.
"I like what I see in Bouna-games this year," Colorado coach Fernando Clavijo said. "He's an outstanding individual and athlete who is playing with confidence right now."
Chicago (1-0-1) got the equalizer in the 85th minute when Barrett got behind the Colorado offside trap and slipped the ball past Coundoul, who came out near the box to try and stop the shot.
"From my angle it was offsides but it doesn't matter now," Colorado coach Fernando Clavijo said. "We always want more," Clavijo said. "We don't want to lose points at home."
Chicago outshot Colorado, 8-3, thanks to the man advantage.
The Fire have not won in Colorado since 1999.
COLORADO 1 FINAL
Apr 15 10:00 PM
- MLS UPDATE
CHICAGO GOAL: Chad Barrett in the 85th minute
Fire vs. RapidsApr 15 9:50 PM
- MLS UPDATE
COLORADO GOAL: Herculez Gomez in the 58th minute
Fire vs. RapidsApr 15 9:24 PM
COLORADO 0 HALFTIME
Apr 15 8:54 PM
- Sporting continues home success against Rapids Jun 27
- Rapids roll into Kansas City to tussle with Sporting Jun 26
- Doyle's blast fires DCU past Chicago Jun 24
- Second-half spurt leads Orlando past Colorado Jun 24
- United aims for second straight win against Fire Jun 23
- Orlando tries to get back on track against Rapids Jun 23
- Serna's late goal rescues Rapids Jun 19
- West rivals clash as Rapids host FCD Jun 18
- Quick strikes lead Revs past Fire Jun 13
- Revs aim to stop the rot against Fire Jun 12
- Orlando City stuns Fire with late rally Jun 6
- Rocky Mountain rivals meet up as Rapids face RSL Jun 5