Gomez lifts Rapids over GalaxyMay 27, 2007 - 6:00 AM COMMERCE CITY, Colorado (Ticker) -- The Colorado Rapids needed a Herculean effort to extend their home domination of the Los Angeles Galaxy.
Herculez Gomez scored the game's only goal Saturday to lift the Rapids to a 1-0 victory over the Galaxy, who haven't won here since July 2002.
Colorado (4-2-3) had won only once in its first five home games but had a wide edge in play against Los Angeles (1-3-2).
"I thought it was important, we haven't been able to give them results at home and everyone was disappointed," Rapids coach Fernando Clavijo. "But I thought they repsonded well, and I thought it was a very entertaining game."
The Rapids had a 14-5 edge in shots over the outmanned Galaxy, who were forced to play with 10 men after Kyle Martino picked up a red card in the 25th minute.
"The red card, I thought it was very harsh," Galaxy coach Frank Yallop said. "He only stands up to go see what it is that he'd done and he gets red carded, I've never really seen that before. I was very disappointed in that, very disappointed."
The pressure paid off when Gomez converted in the 71st minute.
Terry Cooke looped a pass from the right side over three defenders to Gomez, who dove and headed the ball past goalkeeper Joe Cannon inside the left post.
Ironically, Gomez was traded along with Ugo Ihemelu to Colorado for Los Angeles for Cannon in the offseason.
"I have said all along that I have a great respect for Joe, great goalkeeper, but I would do it again, because I thought we added two outstanding young players in Herculez and Ugo," Clavijo said.
It was the third goal of the season for Gomez.
"It is a game I really wanted to win," Gomez said. "You know I was a huge fan of LA's team before I even played there. ... But I honestly believe leaving there was the best thing for me. I feel like I'm a better player for it."
The Galaxy stepped up their attack in the final 15 minutes and had their best chance of equalizing in the 83rd minute.
Nate Jaqua had a point-blank shot that Rapids goalkeeper Bouna Coundoul dove for and tipped just wide of the net to preserve Colorado's fifth straight win over Los Angeles here.
"When it happened it happened and it's something you just react to, get your hand on it and then go get the ball before it goes out so they didn't get a corner kick," Coundoul said.
Both goalkeepers were credited with four saves.
- Sporting continues home success against Rapids Jun 27
- Galaxy, 'Quakes set for California Clasico Jun 26
- Rapids roll into Kansas City to tussle with Sporting Jun 26
- Keane shines as Los Angeles pummels Portland Jun 25
- Second-half spurt leads Orlando past Colorado Jun 24
- Galaxy's Zardes named Player of the Week Jun 23
- West rivals clash as Galaxy host Timbers Jun 23
- Orlando tries to get back on track against Rapids Jun 23
- Husidic, Zardes help Galaxy smash Union Jun 21
- Serna's late goal rescues Rapids Jun 19
- Union set to battle Galaxy at StubHub Center Jun 19
- West rivals clash as Rapids host FCD Jun 18