Recreativo beats Atletico 2-0 in Copa del Rey

Jan 6, 2010 - 11:10 PM By GUY HEDGECOE Associated Press Writer

MADRID(AP) -- Second-division Recreativo Huelva beat 10-man Atletico Madrid 3-0 in the Copa del Rey fifth round on Wednesday while third-division Alcorcon kept its cup run alive, despite losing 3-2 to Racing Santander.

Deportivo La Coruna beat Valencia 2-1 and, on a good night for lower-division teams, second-tier Celta Vigo held Villarreal to 1-1. The second legs will be played next week.

At Recreativo's Colombino Stadium, Atletico went two goals and one man down within 25 minutes. Recreativo's Bruno Fornaroli scored with a cool finish and Jeronimo Barrales from the penalty spot after Cedric Mabwati brought down Aitor Tornavaca in the area. Tomas Ujfalusi was ejected for a challenge on Fornaroli.

Daniel Candeias appeared to secure Recreativo's quarterfinal spot when he scored from Emilio Sanchez's assist two minutes from the end.

"We believe we can still win the tie," said Atletico's Juan "Juanito" Gutierrez. "Today we played terribly, however, we have to overturn the deficit."

Recreativo made the numerical advantage count and Atletico was lackluster throughout, despite its morale-boosting 2-1 win against Sevilla in the league on Sunday.

The home side, which was in 15th place in the second-division standings, nearly scored again early in the second half when Barrales controlled the ball in the area before being dispossessed by Alvaro Dominguez. Tornavaca also just missed with a volley after Emilio Sanchez looped a pass to him over the Atletico defense.

At Alcorcon's Santo Domingo Stadium, Santander went ahead through Christian Fernandez's header in the 33rd. Alexandre Geijo put the first-division team 2-0 up just after halftime when the hosts' defense failed to clear the ball.

Alcorcon's Inigo Lopez cut the deficit in the 58th, kneeing the ball in from a corner.

Santander took control of the tie again when Jose Moraton scored following a free kick, before the unmarked Borja Gomez headed in Alcorcon's second in the 88th minute.

Despite Santander's superior finishing, Alcorcon played the kind of high-tempo game with which it eliminated Real Madrid from the competition in November with a 5-1 aggregate.

"They made the most of their chances and I can't begrudge them that," Alcorcon coach Juan Antonio Anquela said of Santander. "We played our game, and against a topflight team that deserves praise."

In Valencia, La Coruna's Jose Guardado scored in the first minute of the second half and Pablo Alvarez appeared to have put the tie all but out of reach in the 56th with a solo run from the right wing which he capped by cutting inside and scoring.

However, 2008 champion Valencia cut the deficit when substitute David Silva scored in the 74th, his weak shot wrongfooting the goalkeeper with a deflection.

Silva had not played for a month yet his introduction was a shot in the arm for Valencia which pressured for an equalizer as the clock ticked down.

"Valencia pushed us hard and we did very well. We got a great result," said La Coruna coach Miguel Angel Lotina.

In Vigo, Villarreal went ahead in the 13th when Giuseppe Rossi latched on to Ruben "Cani" Garcia's through pass and scored with his first touch.

Celta substitute Arthuro, who replaced the injured Iago Aspas in the 38th, equalized with a powerful header from Roberto Trashorras's free kick at the end of the first half.

On Tuesday, Sevilla beat Barcelona 2-1 in the Camp Nou.

On Thursday it's: Rayo Vallecano vs. Mallorca; Hercules vs. Osasuna; and Malaga vs. Getafe.

No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!