Fowles helps Sky beat Mercury 91-82Aug 11, 2010 - 3:54 AM ROSEMONT, Ill. (AP) -- Sylvia Fowles had 24 points and 14 rebounds and the Chicago Sky rallied to beat the Phoenix Mercury 91-82 on Tuesday night.
The Sky (13-17) remained 4 1/2 games behind Washington for the last Eastern Conference playoff berth.
Chicago, which trailed by as many as 11 in the third quarter, put together a 17-2 run in the fourth to beat the Mercury for the first time in 10 tries.
Fowles was ejected with 3:07 to play after complaining to officials about a missed call seconds earlier.
"I know I'm big and I know I'm strong, but a foul is a foul," she said. "And I feel like if I did it to an opponent it would be a foul. So this was my time to vent and let it all out because I've been dealing with this all season.
"I hate that I had to leave my team out there, but at the same time they need to understand what I'm feeling. (But) I think it put a spark in them, they've never seen me turn into the hawk before."
Diana Taurasi, who also ejected late in the game, had 28 points and Penny Taylor added 14 for Phoenix (14-15).
"We missed some shots and had too many turnovers," Mercury coach Corey Gaines said.
Epiphanny Prince had 16 points for Chicago, which snapped a five-game skid.
Taurasi scored 10 points in the second quarter to help Phoenix build a 44-35 halftime lead.
The Sky roared back late in the third, closing with a 16-2 run over the final 4:11 to grab a 67-62 advantage.
- WNBA Capsules May 22
- WNBA Capsules May 18
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- Vandersloot, Pondexter help Sky cruise to 93-70 win over Sun May 14
- WNBA set to tip off 20th season this weekend May 13
- Diana Taurasi back in WNBA, shoots for 4th Olympic gold May 9
- Champion Lynx begin season with 1 more mountain to climb May 8
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- WNBA hires Jay Parry as chief operating officer Apr 11
- Phoenix Mercury bring back Penny Taylor Feb 8
- WNBA set to unveil new marketing campaign "Watch Me Work" Jan 28
- Glory Johnson gives birth to twins Oct 18