Sun 78, Sky 71Aug 21, 2010 - 4:22 AM ROSEMONT, Ill. (AP) -- Renee Montgomery scored 20 points and the Connecticut Sun held off the Chicago Sky 78-71 Friday night.
The win was the second straight for the Sun (17-16) who will miss the playoffs for the second straight year.
"I don't care if the game isn't going to get us to the playoffs, the game isn't going to do anything, but it's still about to pride," Montgomery said. "We are out there, people are coming to see you play and you need to perform."
Epiphanny Prince scored 19 points for the Sky (14-19), who were eliminated last week.
Connecticut's 66-55 lead dwindled to one point midway through the fourth quarter, but consecutive buckets from Tan White, Asjha Jones and Tina Charles provided breathing room.
Jones finished with 16 points for the Sun, who missed the WNBA playoffs for the second straight year, established control in the third quarter with an 18-2 run that erased Chicago's seven-point halftime lead.
"We gave up an 8-0 run to start the quarter," Chicago coach Steven Key said. "It's something that has been a negative thing for all us all season. We work hard to get a lead and then we give something back as a gift. We can't do that."
FINAL 1ST 2ND 3RD 4TH TOTAL
--- --- --- --- -----
CONNECTICUT 20 14 30 14 78
CHICAGO 20 21 14 16 71 FINAL
HIGH SCORERS: CON - RENEE MONTGOMERY 20, ASJHA JONES 16,
KARA LAWSON 14
CHI - EPIPHANNY PRINCE 19, DOMINIQUE CANTY 11,
SYLVIA FOWLES 11
Aug 20 10:46 PM
CHICAGO 20 END, 1ST QTR
Aug 20 9:10 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 22
- WNBA Capsules May 21
- WNBA Capsules May 18
- Vandersloot, Pondexter help Sky cruise to 93-70 win over Sun May 14
- Army star Kelsey Minato gets a chance to play in WNBA May 7
- UConn trio look to make history at WNBA draft Apr 14
- Connecticut trades Williams to Dream for No. 4 draft pick Feb 3
- Connecticut Sun hire Curt Miller as new coach Dec 17
- AP source: Curt Miller to coach Connecticut Sun Dec 16
- Delle Donne unanimous choice for WNBA first team Oct 8
- Anne Donovan resigns as head coach of Connecticut Sun Oct 1
- Fever beat Sky 100-89, advance to Eastern Conference finals Sep 21