Liberty open season with OT win in AtlantaJun 5, 2011 - 10:02 PM Atlanta, GA (Sports Network) - Plenette Pierson ended with 25 points and 10 rebounds, as the New York Liberty downed the Atlanta Dream in overtime, 94-88, in the season opener for both clubs.
Nicole Powell netted 17 points and Cappie Pondexter chipped in 12 points and 11 assists for New York, which is coming off a franchise-record 22-win campaign last year.
Iziane Castro Marques scored 19 points and Sancho Lyttle filled the stat sheet with 18 points, 11 rebounds and five assists for Atlanta, which lost to the Seattle Storm in the WNBA Finals last season.
There were 13 lead changes and 15 ties in the rematch of last year's Eastern Conference finals, and the game appropriately went to extra time after both teams made big buckets late in regulation.
Powell drained a three-pointer to tie the game, 77-77, with 8.8 seconds remaining, and Lindsey Harding countered with an 11-footer to give the Dream the lead.
But the bucket came with 3.2 seconds left, leaving enough time for Sidney Spencer's 17-footer to tie things again with just 2/10ths of a second left on the clock.
New York started OT on an 8-2 run and held on in the final minute.
- NEW YORK: 94
Final - OT
Jun 5 5:23 PM
- NEW YORK: 40
Jun 5 3:59 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
1st Quarter - 10:00
Jun 5 3:10 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 22
- WNBA Capsules May 21
- WNBA Capsules May 15
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- Atlanta cuts 41-year-old Milton-Jones, WNBA's oldest player May 12
- NY Liberty acquire Wings' Amanda Zahui B for draft pick May 11
- WNBA in Big D: Wings land in Dallas, league's 1st team there May 10
- Indiana trades Layshia Clarendon to Atlanta for draft pick May 10
- Minnesota Lynx re-sign ex-Gopher center Janel McCarville May 7
- Liberty trade for All-Star guard Shoni Schimmel May 2
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- Candice Wiggins retires from WNBA at age 29 Mar 22