Mercury slip past Silver StarsAug 21, 2011 - 4:33 AM Phoenix, AZ (Sports Network) - Penny Taylor tallied a game-high 28 points as Phoenix slipped by San Antonio, 87-81.
Candice Dupree added 20 points and 10 rebounds for the Mercury, who have won four of five to remain firmly entrenched in second place in the West.
DeWanna Bonner posted 13 points off the bench with a game-best 11 boards for Phoenix.
Becky Hammon registered 22 points and dished out 10 assists for the Silver Stars, who have lost three in a row. Ruth Riley poured in 16 and Scholanda Robinson had 15 points in a losing cause.
The home team trailed 41-38 at the break, but used a 14-2 run late in the third quarter to forge ahead.
Taylor began the run in earnest with a three-point play to cut the Mercury deficit to 52-49, then Alexis Gray-Lawson drained a trey to tie the game
Dupree closed out the burst with two straight buckets and Phoenix led 59-54.
The lead swelled to as much as nine early in the fourth, but Riley hit from long distance to forge a 65-65 deadlock. But Taylor hit two from the line and Gray-Lawson again connected from beyond the arc to give the Mercury some breathing room.
- SAN ANTONIO: 81
Aug 21 12:10 AM
- SAN ANTONIO: 41
Aug 20 10:54 PM
- SAN ANTONIO: 0
1st Quarter - 10:00
Aug 20 10:08 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- WNBA set to tip off 20th season this weekend May 13
- WNBA's Dan Hughes enters last season as San Antonio coach May 13
- Fever's Catchings cherishing every moment of farewell tour May 11
- Diana Taurasi back in WNBA, shoots for 4th Olympic gold May 9
- Champion Lynx begin season with 1 more mountain to climb May 8
- Army star Kelsey Minato gets a chance to play in WNBA May 7
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- UConn trio look to make history at WNBA draft Apr 14
- WNBA hires Jay Parry as chief operating officer Apr 11
- Phoenix Mercury bring back Penny Taylor Feb 8
- WNBA star Tamika Catchings interns at NBA offices Feb 6