Connecticut continues dominance over PhoenixAug 27, 2011 - 2:45 AM Uncasville, CT (Sports Network) - Tina Charles scored 17 points and pulled down nine rebounds as the Connecticut Sun edged the Phoenix Mercury 95-92.
Asjha Jones added a double-double with 16 points and 11 boards, and Kalana Greene, Renee Montgomery and Kara Lawson each dropped in 14 points in the Sun's fourth win in six games.
Phoenix got WNBA leading scorer Diana Taurasi back after missing two games with back spasms, but her 26 points were not enough to stop the Mercury from losing their second straight game.
Penny Taylor also scored 26 points for Phoenix, which lost its fourth straight contest against Connecticut.
With under two minutes to play and the score tied at 86, Taurasi and Taylor each missed three pointers before Lawson dropped a shot from beyond the arc to put the Sun ahead for good.
A Taurasi three brought the Mercury within one at 93-92 with 4.1 seconds to go, but after Lawson made two free throws, Taurasi missed the game-tying shot as time expired.
- PHOENIX: 92
Aug 26 9:55 PM
- PHOENIX: 47
Aug 26 8:29 PM
- PHOENIX: 0
1st Quarter - 9:26
Aug 26 7:40 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 21
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- Vandersloot, Pondexter help Sky cruise to 93-70 win over Sun May 14
- WNBA set to tip off 20th season this weekend May 13
- Diana Taurasi back in WNBA, shoots for 4th Olympic gold May 9
- Champion Lynx begin season with 1 more mountain to climb May 8
- Army star Kelsey Minato gets a chance to play in WNBA May 7
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- UConn trio look to make history at WNBA draft Apr 14
- WNBA hires Jay Parry as chief operating officer Apr 11
- Phoenix Mercury bring back Penny Taylor Feb 8
- Connecticut trades Williams to Dream for No. 4 draft pick Feb 3