Charles, Jones dominate as Sun top LibertySep 11, 2011 - 11:22 PM Uncasville, CT (Sports Network) - Tina Charles scored 18 points and Asjha Jones added 17, leading Connecticut to a 69-63 win over New York in the regular-season finale for a pair of playoff-bound teams at Mohegan Sun Arena.
Charles and Jones each contributed 11 rebounds for the Sun, who closed the campaign with a 21-13 mark and will be the second seed in the Eastern Conference playoffs. Charles set a WNBA record with her 23rd double-double of the season, eclipsing her own mark of 22 set last year.
Nicole Powell scored 14 points for the Liberty, who finished at 19-15 and will be the fourth seed in the East.
Cappie Pondexter added 12 points and nine rebounds in defeat, while Kara Braxton made each of her five shots to contribute 10 points.
Connecticut welcomes the Atlanta Dream (20-14) to town in the first round, while New York heads to Indiana to play the top-seeded Fever (21-13).
- NEW YORK: 63
Sep 11 3:15 PM
- NEW YORK: 33
Sep 11 2:05 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
1st Quarter - 10:00
Sep 11 1:21 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 21
- WNBA Capsules May 15
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- Vandersloot, Pondexter help Sky cruise to 93-70 win over Sun May 14
- NY Liberty acquire Wings' Amanda Zahui B for draft pick May 11
- Indiana trades Layshia Clarendon to Atlanta for draft pick May 10
- Minnesota Lynx re-sign ex-Gopher center Janel McCarville May 7
- Army star Kelsey Minato gets a chance to play in WNBA May 7
- Liberty trade for All-Star guard Shoni Schimmel May 2
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- UConn trio look to make history at WNBA draft Apr 14
- Candice Wiggins retires from WNBA at age 29 Mar 22