Lynx set record with 10th straight win to start seasonJun 16, 2012 - 4:35 AM Phoenix, AZ (Sports Network) - Lindsay Whalen poured in 29 points as the Minnesota Lynx set a WNBA record with their 10th straight win to open the season, a 78-60 romp of the Phoenix Mercury on Friday.
Minnesota had tied the mark set by the 2001 and 2003 Los Angeles Sparks last Saturday with a 20-point win over Tulsa and broke the record thanks to Whalen and 14 points from Seimone Augustus.
DeWanna Bonner had 18 points and Candice Dupree added 11 points and 10 rebounds for the Mercury, who have dropped five of their past six.
Minnesota never trailed in the game as Whalen opened the scoring with a layup and the team held a 21-16 lead after the first quarter.
The Lynx opened the second quarter with a 9-1 run and later scored seven unanswered to take a 43-27 lead into the break.
Minnesota continued to run in front in the second half and led by as many as 23 in the record-setting contest.
- MINNESOTA: 78
Jun 16 12:07 AM
- MINNESOTA: 62
End of 3rd
Jun 15 11:42 PM
- MINNESOTA: 43
Jun 15 10:59 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
1st Quarter - 10:00
Jun 15 10:14 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 22
- WNBA Capsules May 18
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- Minnesota Lynx No. 1 in first AP WNBA power poll May 13
- WNBA set to tip off 20th season this weekend May 13
- Diana Taurasi back in WNBA, shoots for 4th Olympic gold May 9
- Champion Lynx begin season with 1 more mountain to climb May 8
- Minnesota Lynx re-sign ex-Gopher center Janel McCarville May 7
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- WNBA hires Jay Parry as chief operating officer Apr 11
- Candice Wiggins retires from WNBA at age 29 Mar 22
- Lynx sign Czech guard Katerina Elhotova Feb 25